Young Reds v Royal High School

Young Reds v Royal High School

Clean Sweep for Young Reds in the Conference

Another excellent weekend for the Young Reds in the Conference with 4 wins against Royal High School.

Age Group Team Score (Linlithgow first)
U18 35 – 19
U16 50 – 7
S3 45 – 14
S2 28 – 7
S1 41 – 6
Conference Results v Royal High School – 20/11/21

Young Reds U16s Turn in Another Excellent Performance in Big Win

Royal High  7 – 67  Linlithgow

Match report by Graeme Miller

The U16 took on Royal High away in Edinburgh on the Saturday morning extremely early so boys could go to Murrayfield. 

This didn’t stop the Young Reds from racking up one of their best scoring results this season with the result going down as 53-0, but it really was 67-7 with the referee stopping play with 10 minutes to go in the second half. 

Vice captain Johnny took the sensible decision not to play after warming up and realising he wasn’t over a shoulder injury and we lost Reece 5 minutes in with a similar injury, but not before he opened the scoring after 1 minute of play.

We settled into our running game and scored a further 7 tries in the first half with Jack scoring his hat-trick and Owen, Rory, Logan, and Daniel all crossing the whitewash. Fraser converted 4 to make it 48-0 at half time on the windy Royal High top pitch.

Worthy notes would be Owen scoring but not before running round the pitch like a back, tackling and rucking extremely well. Rory playing again at centre came onto a brilliant defensive display of tackling as well as running and passing brilliantly. 

With the second half starting well, Fraser pulled off the pass of the day to allow Charlie to score first in the second half. His kick through on third phase play was heading into touch but he caught it before it crossed into touch, somersaulting and throwing the pass back into play, right into Charlie’s hands who powered up the pitch to finish the official score to 53-0.

We played on, scoring another twice through Ryan and Caiden with Fraser adding another 2 conversions. With the Royal High boys still trying to play, they managed to gain territory and cross for a converted try before the referee called the finish.

Well done to everyone who took the field, especially the boys playing out of position. 

S1 Match Report

Linlithgow 41 – 6 Royal High

Report by Malcolm Dunn

It was damp and blustery down at the Academy pitch at 8-30 on Saturday morning.  Despite the early hour the boys seemed ready and raring to go.  We had talked in the week about needing to get a good start to the game – something lacking in our previous three matches – as well as improving our attitude.  To this end the boys had come up with 3 rugby principles they wanted to play by.  These were: Respect, Team work and sportsmanship.  It was going to be interesting to see whether we could play by these in the heat of a game.

As for the coaches it was good to see Paul make his return after his quarantine.  However we weren’t quite up to full strength as it’s now Richard’s time to spend some enforced time at home; alongside this David was a little subdued this morning – no one’s quite sure why but we are reassured that this is temporary.

None the less it was Royal High who turned up low on numbers, with only 8 players.  A quick re-jigging of plans meant us lending them four players so that we could get a full match of 12 aside.  This week we nominated forwards for the first time to man the scrums and form the line-outs, as well as identifying two wingers to keep our shape across the pitch.  (As coaches we like to think we too learnt something from our loss to George Watson’s last week.)

At last we kicked off and immediately put pressure on the receiver, and it wasn’t long before he ball was turned over and Thomas J was over the line for the first try. We were off to a fast start.  The second try was an absolute peach as Rory offloaded a short pass to Daniel at full pelt and nothing was going to stop getting over the line from 10 meters out.

Linlithgow then started putting some nice phases of play together with the ball moving from one side of the pitch to the other.  During one of these phases Jay showed some excellent play on the wing, he looked to make an outside break, realised it wasn’t on, stepped inside and passed to Thomas J who was in for a try.

At this point Royal High started to come into the game, however they were contained with some strong tackles from Angus T, Morgan, Olly and Alfie in particular.  However at one point Ewan (playing for the opposition) broke from the 22 metre line and dotted down over the line. 

The next Linlithgow try came from an excellent break by Angus T who then put Rory in to score.  The smile on his face was evident for all to see.  This was the end of the first period.

A different set of boys switched sides to help out Royal High for the second period and again it wasn’t long before Linlithgow were over the line again.  Chris made a break from the halfway line but put the ball down just short of line.  Fortunately Joe was on hand to finish off the move and get it down under the posts.  The next try was the try of the match.  It all started with the scrum in our own half and what followed was 6 to 7 phases of play with well over 20 passes which finally led to Thomas J going over in the far corner.  Royal High also came up with a wonderful break of their own with their number 11 running more than half of the length of the pitch, breaking tackles on the way to score a memorable try.

During the break the boys needed a reminder to get more stuck in the rucks and tackles and they duly responded.  No one more so that Angus T who at this point was playing for the opposition.  He clearly wanted to show his team mates he meant business and put in a series of tackles and made a number of breaks which kept Royal High in the running. 

There were also some excellent Linlithgow tries during this phase of the game.  The first came from a perfect cross kick from Rory which bounced over the try line only for Max to emerge from the melee with his arms  aloft and a try.  Another came from a lovely break from Angus C who bravely ran it from his own try line, to offload to Ewan who had a long run in under the posts.  At some point during this quarter Thomas M also had a long run in for his try following some quick thinking by Rory taking a short 22 drop out; and finally a try from Scott after a fancy somersault dive which has no place on the rugby pitch!

Overall it was a great team performance and this is what it should be remembered for; this was a complete turnaround from last week. From his place on the pitch the ref reported that the boys lived up to the three principles that they set themselves.  They encouraged each other throughout the game, respected his decisions and had shown sportsmanship by focussing on their own game rather than the opposition’s mistakes.

Although all the boys played well there are a few special mentions. Rory had a great game with ball in hand and boot which might have put his Scottish counterpart at Murrayfield to shame, finishing with 6 successful conversions.  Scott showed his commitment to his team mates after missing a tackle, he tracked backed so hard that he was able to make amends.  However man of the match has to go to Angus T this week.  He put himself on the line with some of his tacking and was unselfish with the ball in hand, bringing his team mates into the game and keeping the ball alive.  More of this next week please Angus and the tries will follow.