Reds v Hawick Linden (Nov 14)

Reds Hit Half Ton Against Hawick

Linlithgow 50 – 11 Hawick Linden

Saturday 29 November 2014

Wee Reds Mascots, Hamish McGowan and Callum Richardson, led Linlithgow’s Firsts out last Saturday at Mains Park.  The Reds were hosting Hawick Linden in a BT East League One match, sponsored by GHI Contracts Ltd, long-term supporters of the rugby club.

HL_EuanRLinlithgow welcomed back Andrew and Alistair Wood and Euan Richardson from injury with last year’s Player of the Season, Ross Plenderleith, also playing his first league game of the season.  The Reds set about the match with relish and the game was only three minutes old when Andrew Wood celebrated his return with a try under the posts, successfully converted by John Strachan.

Three minutes later, full back, Fraser Rankine, took the ball on the wing and dived over in the corner.  Although the Reds were in the ascendancy, Hawick Linden were posing problems in the scrum for the home side and they defended well on their own line.  Nevertheless the home side cheered when Ross Plenderleith received the ball on the wing and, with a trademark run, scored in the opposite corner.

Just after a quarter of an hour, the visitors notched their first score with a long range penalty.  The Reds returned to the attack and centre, Mark Green, used his speed and strength to crash through the middle for the fourth, bonus-point try under the posts.  John Strachan added the conversion.  Two minutes later, Hawick Linden added another penalty with an excellent kick.  On the stroke of half time Mikey Walker, finished off a well-worked Linlithgow scrum to dart over on the blindside.  The conversion was missed but the score at the interval was a comfortable home lead of 29-6.

From the restart, the Reds resumed their attack and in two moves in quick succession, managed to miss an overlap on each wing.  Immediately, Hawick Linden shook themselves and mounted their best phase of the game.  They pressed the Reds back on to their try line and won a succession of scrums.  The home side brought on John Pauley again to bolster their front row but the Hawick pressure still resulted in a try.

The game stalled slightly with play in the middle of the park.  At the twenty-minute mark, Euan Richardson broke forward and ran directly through the visitors’ defence.  He was tackled, however, and although the Reds were going forward from the resulting scrum, Hawick won a penalty allowing them to clear their lines.

The match appeared to be drifting to a tame conclusion when the Reds burst into action in the last five minutes.  Replacement flanker, Lewis Herdman crashed through the tiring Hawick defence to score under the posts with John Strachan adding the conversion.

Man of the match, Mark Green, scored his second try with an excellent direct burst, running from his own half and then outstripping several defenders to score under the posts.  Strachan converted again.  He added another successful kick when Alistair Wood joined his brother in marking his return with a score.  This took the final score to 50-11, a satisfactory win for the home side.

Linlithgow XV

Fraser Rankine; Chris Bredin, Mark Green, Andrew Wood and Ross Plenderleith; John Strachan and Mikey Walker; Calum McKeown, Stuart Young and Chris Archer; Patrick Bennie and Logan Black; Cameron Dori-Muir, Euan Richardson and Alistair Wood.  Subs: John Pauley, Lewis Herdman and Ben Milne.