Reds at Ross High (Sep22)

Last Kick Drama for Reds

Ross High  29 – 28  Linlithgow

Report by Craig Young

This was Ross High’s first league match of the season so there was no form, however Linlithgow know only too well how difficult a place this is to get any kind of result. The afternoon didn’t start well as Freddie Alcock and Ewan Mitchell went to Royal High by mistake and therefore missed the kick off. This meant a start for Ally Walker on the centre.

Linlithgow kicked off up the hill and had most of the early possession. 10 minutes were gone by the time the home side threatened and they scored a nice try in the corner as the ball was swept quickly across the park to the speedy winger. The conversion was good.  This was ominous, but Linlithgow hit back almost immediately as Ross Plenderleith picked the ball up around halfway, kicked on and picked up his own kick to run in at the corner nicely converted by Jack Frame

Ross Plenderleith ran in the Reds’ first try – less of an uphill job than the photo makes it look!

Around this point Aidan Rennison was injured. As play raged on, he revealed a nasty injury to his thumb, either disclocated or broken. Ewen Mitchell came on. Linlithgow went ahead with a penalty from Jack Frame and things were looking good for the visiting side, competing for every ball and showing good defence. Ross High pushed hard and eventually scored a push over try which Linlithgow did not defend well. The home team’s prop was taking the kicks and he missed a relatively easy conversion.  

The lead changed again when Jack Frame scored another penalty from the 10 metre line. Ross High hit back straight away with another unconverted try in the corner.  As half time approached Linlithgow were awarded a penalty in a kickable position but opted for a scrum. From the scrum the backs showed good handling and scored a try but the referee deemed the final pass forward.  Almost immediately Linlithgow were in the same position again and opted to go for the corner with the visiting fans screaming to take the points. With a move straight out of the training ground to the front of the line out, Linlithgow scored through Kyle Ormond  in the corner beautifully converted by Frame.   HT 17:20

Kyle Ormond is totally focussed (as is the Touch Judge!) as he runs in the Reds’ second try

Linlithgow had the worst possible start to the second half, as Ross High regained the lead with another pushover try, Linlithgow being unable to defend their own line.  The play for a while was inside the Linlithgow half, the visitors unable to get going forward themselves. Midway through the half Ally Walker had to go off with a very heavy head knock. Linlithgow reduced the deficit with another penalty from Frame before Colin Devlin received a yellow during another period of Ross High pressure. 

Jack Frame was striking the ball beautifully

While Dev was off Ross High missed a penalty and scored another unconverted try. They might also have had another, but they inexplicably sent the ball wide when they had already scored twice easily using their forwards. Linlithgow cleared the danger then were back to full complement. Only 6 points behind and with only a minute to go, Linlithgow had a chance with a penalty. Jack Frame found  a good touch and, from the resulting line out, Mark Caddle burst through to make the score 29-28 and Jack Frame had a chance to win the game with the conversion.

Mark Caddle crosses for the Reds late third try

What happened next will be spoken about for a while, but basically Jack struck the ball well and it seemed well wide to the right, but then the ball started to come in and, from this reporter’s perspective, the ball went over the top of the post. The home touch judge thought it was over, the referee thought it was over but the Linlithgow touch judge said it was wide so it wasn’t given. Full time  29:28

This was a much improved performance but the second half performance wasn’t good enough, Linlithgow only staying in the game mainly due to the poor kicking of the home team. Having said that, I actually thought Linlithgow had stolen the game at the end. What is of more concern is the growing injury list. 

Next week the 1st XV are at home to Duns with a 3pm KO. The 2’s are also due to play at home to Gala, also at 3pm.


Jack Frame; Ross Plenderleith, Ally Walker, Ross Tulloch, Eddie Beamish; Aidan Rennison, Cammy Murrie; Adam Scott, Kyle Ormond, Colin Devlin; Ross Martin, Fraser Mochrie; Euan Mochrie (captain), Joe McKillion and Mark Caddle.


Freddie Alcock, Ewan Mitchell, Jamie Tulloch and Cammy Walker.

View Graham Black’s match photos