Reds at Penicuik

Reds Claim Important Away Win

Penicuik  11 – 17  Linlithgow

Saturday 3rd December 2016

After 3 weeks of no rugby, Linlithgow travelled to Penicuik who were sitting at the bottom of the league. Both teams needed points badly. It was a bit chilly but at least the cold wind wasn’t cutting you in two !


Eric Williams crashes over for Reds try

Linlithgow kicked off up the slope and soon earned a penalty which was slotted over by Jack Frame. Andrew Whitelaw had a good run into the home 22 but was stopped before the line. Linlithgow were on top but mistakes were hampering their progress. The home side had a chance to score a penalty but the effort went wide before Cunningham had a good run before the attack petered out. Eventually the Linlithgow pressure paid off as Eric Williams went over for a try in the corner, the conversion dropping just short.

Linlithgow were penalised for not binding and Penicuik reduced the deficit with a penalty. The Reds came back and were unlucky not to score when held up on the line. Eric Williams had another good run, but was pushed into touch just short. With half time approaching Linlithgow earned another penalty when a home player wasn’t quick enough to roll away and Jack Frame slotted the kick to make the half time score 11-3 in favour of the Reds.


Andy Whitelaw on the attack

The second half started badly for Linlithgow as the home side scored in the corner, the conversion being missed.  This spurred the Reds on, and they enjoyed a sustained period of domination in the game.  The Reds missed two penalties with both going agonisingly wide. A drop goal attempt went seriously wide, and you felt that Linlithgow would score any time.

More penalties followed as Linlithgow chose to go for touch instead of the points. The referee eventually lost patience with the home side’s tactics and binned one of the props. However, Linlithgow were unable to take advantage of the extra man. At 11-8 the lead was slender and it was a relief for Linlithgow when Jack Frame increased the lead to 9 points with 2 successive penalties.

It has to be said that Linlithgow should have been out of sight by this stage, but Penicuik came back with another penalty with 3 minutes remaining. Linlithgow now had to defend desperately for the last 2 minutes as the home side camped on the Linlithgow goal line. The referee spotted a knock on and blew for full time which didn’t please the home contingent.

This was a hard fought victory and a deserved one, but the coaching staff will be pulling their hair out at some of scores that got away.

Jack Frame; Euan Murray, Eric Williams, Chris Ronalson, Ross Plenderleith; Andrew Whitelaw, Jamie March; Steven Grant, Stuart Cunningham, Billy Edment; Pat Bennie, Craig Scott (capt); Ross Martin, Euan Mochrie, Cameron Dori-Muir.

Subs (all used) : David Martin , Sean Hagerty, Mark Caddle, Calum McKeown.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black