2s v RHC 2s (October 16)

Reds 2s in Fine Late Win

Linlithgow 2nd XV  33  RHC 2nd XV  31

Playing in front of their home crowd, the weather and pitch perfect for rugby and against a big and strong RHC side made for a potentially very tough game for the Reds’ 2s.

And so it started with RHC off loading well in the attempted tackles and running in two tries which they converted to make the score 14- 0 after 10 minutes. The Manager and supporters alike felt it was going to a long and hard day on the pitch for this young team.

However the team, with the welcome addition of John Chapman at stand off for the first time this season, were sticking to their task and John was kicking extremely well. This was keeping the RHC team in their half and making their big forwards and backs work extremely hard. The Linlithgow team, with forwards Stu Young, Bradley Lewis, Lauchlan McCall and Drew Sommerville all tackling hard, made the opposition realise they were in a real game.

From a loose ruck the ball game out and Robbie Thomson passed the ball to John Chapman who quickly moved it across the back line to Cammy Walker who dived in the corner. (14 points to 5 down)

RHC came back and scored again from forward pressure as any slack tackling was punished severely by the RHC players who were confident they could win this game.

The Reds showing great resilience came back and Cammy Walker again scored to leave the score at half time 19- 12 for RHC.

rhc-1At half time the Manager had some changes to make and was thankful that Colin McMorrin, Andy Birrell and Hugh Cochrane were on the bench. Stuart Gordon came off from the front row after trying and working really hard in the first half. Ally Walker moved to the front row to give a bit of Armadale grit and Bradley moved to hooker. The extra weight and experience had the desired effect giving the back row and the backs some space to move.

Unfortunately before everyone settled down RHC scored again (26 – 12 to the visitors).  However gradually the Linlithgow team made ground and from another foray into the opposition 22m area, Cammy Murray dummied and sidestepped inside the RHC defence to score. (26 – 19 down)

The Reds were gaining in confidence and believing they could win or at least draw but then RHC scored again to give them 31 points. There were ten minutes or so left and Cammy Walker scored his third try to make the score 31- 26 to RHC.

Panic was setting in among the RHC players and supporters with their aim now to keep the ball off  the park and run down the clock. But the Reds were not to be denied and from a ball kicked badly by RHC, Duncan McClymont sprinted down the park from the half way line leaving tired and dispirited RHC players in his wake.  The try was converted by John Chapman and the final whistle went shortly after with the score 31 – 33 to Linlithgow. A magnificent win to put the 2nd’s at the top of the league.

Great teamwork and effort shown by all brought this dividend and everyone in Linlithgow is proud of the lads. Let’s keep this up all season!