2s v Lasswade (Jan 22)

Strong Lasswade Pack Edge Reds’ 2s

Linlithgow 2s  12 – 17  Lasswade 2s

Saturday 22 January 2022

Report by Des Martin

The Seconds took to the field at Lower Mains Park in their first game for approx 7 weeks. The Manager was concerned that some of the players might have forgotten how to play the game of rugby but the Reds 2XV started brightly. Euan Mitchell playing in the back row received the kick-off from Lasswade and he made 20 yards with a good burst of speed. Stu Young supported well and set up a ruck, the ball came out quickly with Cammy Walker at scrum half and Gregor McLean put through a deft grubber kick which was picked up by Freddie Adcock who offloaded to Jamie Pooch Tulloch who finished of the move and scored a great try. It was not converted so the score was 5-0 to the Reds. Everyone applauded the flowing move and hoped for more.

However Lasswade were not easily managed as they had a number of large and willing ball carriers who gained ground carrying the ball at every opportunity. Despite the gallant efforts of Jamie Tulloch, Euan Murray, Adam Scott and Matt Sommerville who were all putting their bodies on the line, Lasswade scored  a try from their winger out wide after a series of rucks and mauls were the Reds defence were unable to stop them gaining ground.  This try was not converted and the score was 5-5.

Lasswade realised that the way forward was in the tight and although the Reds held well in the scrums and the line-out, the loose play was difficult with Lasswade always having the edge in the rucks and mauls. It didn’t help that some of the Reds’ forwards started to “advise” the referee regularly as to how he should manage the game and of course this did us no good at all!  The Reds were constantly penalised at the loose rucks through a combination of back chat and aggressive play by the Lasswade team. The Lasswade forwards scored a try and it was converted before half time to leave the score 12-5 to Lasswade.

Half time came and we all discussed the need for less back chat and agreed to whinge less in the second half. Kieran Cochrane came off and Lewis McKie went on in the second row, and Rory McAdam went on for Callum Miller who had pulled a muscle on the greasy surface.

The second half started well and after some good tackling by Freddie Adcock, Euan Muzz Murray  scored a try which was converted by Cammy Walker.  12-12 points each.

Lasswade came back at the Reds and with their strong forward pack started to grind the Reds down. The second half was a succession of penalties and minor incidents which generally favoured Lasswade. From one of these incidents Lasswade scored again to leave the score 17-12 to Lasswade. Eioan Magee, a young 6th year recently turned 18, came on a for his senior debut and played well for the 30 minutes he was on the park.

But although the Reds worked hard and had opportunity they could not maintain the pressure and score. The final whistle went and we were all disappointed that we had come second. The Manager and some of the team were disappointed at certain players incessant moaning which overshadowed a good performance by all.  This does the team no good at all and certainly influences referees decision making. Please think before you speak for future games!

Big game this coming weekend – we need as many as possible on the bus for Melrose.