2s v Forrester (Sep19)

2s Also Claim Bonus Point Win

Linlithgow 2s  31 – 21  Forrester 2s

Saturday 07 September 2019

The first home game for the seconds on Mains Park started on a bright and sunny day ideal for rugby. The Manager had been hit with unexpected call offs and transfers to the first team and was left with a bare 15 players for this fixture. After trying all the possible alternatives for a substitute to make 16, John Smith one of the club Directors answered the call as no one else was willing to make themselves available.. Ken Richardson, the President, also volunteered his services as touch judge. Although limited for numbers we all felt that everyone who was on the park was capable of giving Forrester a good game.

Kev Wilson at stand off started the game but Forrester ended up with the first scrum. The Reds turned over the ball and, from some good play by Euan Murray and Struan McLean at scrum half, Ally Walker managed to jink his way over from 20 yards out. The conversion was missed.  5-0 to the Reds.

Ally Walker opens the scoring with a fine try

Muzz Murray then scored and Kev Wilson converted, the Reds were 12-0 up and working really hard and playing well against a strong Forrester Seconds.

Forrester were stung into action and from some good drives and our indiscipline ended up scoring a couple of tries so that the score at one stage was 12-14 to the visitors. However good performances by Neil Lockhart and Duncan McClymont in the second row supported by Calum McKeown, Adam Scott and Stuart Sommervail resulted in Cammy Walker getting his first try following a kick ahead. The try was converted by Kev Wilson. The score was now 19-14 to the Reds. 

Cammy Walker grounds his own kick ahead for the 2s third try

Big Shug Cochrane was struggling due to the warm weather and playing for 40 minutes, so the Manager utilised his only reserve and reshuffled his team with the versatile Ally Walker moving to prop and “Smudger” John Smith coming on in the back row. 

The game was finely balanced at this stage, and there was a feeling that the next try would be critical. Gradually the Reds took hold of the game and began to exert more pressure on the visitors. Every time the ball came out to the right, wing Cammy Walker looked dangerous and in the middle of the park his brother Ally was having a massive game. Also prominent in the loose was Neil Lockhart and it was from a great run of his into the Forrester 22 that the ball came back for Ally Walker to blast through several tacklers and claim his second try of the match to extend the Reds’ lead.

There’s no stopping Ally Walker after fine work by Neil Lockhart

John Smith demonstrated his tactical nous by pushing a nice kick along the ground and into touch on the Forrester 22. From the resultant play Ally Walker looked as if he was going to score his hat trick try but a delay in touching down allowed the Forrester player to hold him up and deny his score. When a couple of minutes later Neil Lockhart, up in support yet again, let the ball slip in the act of scoring, it looked like the Reds were jinxed. However, no fear, up stepped Cammy Walker and from a Forrester clearance he jinked and darted past defenders for 25 metres to touch the ball down for a great try. The conversion by Chris Ronalson made the score 31-14 to Linlithgow with a few minutes to go.

Cammy Walker rounds off the scoring with a trademark finish

Forrester claimed a converted try right at the final whistle to leave the final score 31-21 to the Reds 2s.

A good first game all round and, as more players make themselves available from important “other” duties, work and holidays, the team will only get better. A very mature performance from Struan McLean in his first senior league game at scrum half and thanks from the Manager and Shug to Smudger Smith for standing in as a replacement.