2s v Dalkeith (Jan 16)

Reds Match Snowed Off but 2s Claim Fine Victory at Home

Saturday 09 January 2016

After a festive break, the Reds had been due to resume their league season with an away match at Hawick against Hawick Linden.  However, the weather had other ideas and 5 inches of snow on Friday afternoon resulted in the match being postponed.  The Reds Coaching Team anxious to get the rust out of the squad – most players hadn’t played in 3 weeks – instead arranged a late morning training session at Mains Park, which certainly put them through their paces and blew away the cobwebs!  So much so, that all they could manage was to sit at the Clubhouse window and cheer on the 2s!

Linlithgow 2s  31 – 5  Dalkeith 2s
(BT Reserve League East 2)

2s_teamWith the conditions wet underfoot and a light rain for most of the game, it was not surprising that this match was littered with errors.  However, some fine heads-up play by the 2s and excellent refereeing kept the game flowing, with Dalkeith making their contribution to an entertaining afternoon.

The match saw the return from long-term injury of four players – John Strachan, Euan Murray, Stuart Young and Billy Edment – and all four had good run-outs with Billy excelling in the loose, scoring a try and setting up another.

EOS-1D Mark III10764_DxO 1600The first try came from Duncan McClymont, who was up to dive on a loose ball in the Dalkeith in-goal area, after Gus McNab and Stu Young had put a Dalkeith player under pressure from a kick ahead.   The Reds 2s added a second try through Billy Edment, who burst on to an inside ball at pace and then came the play of the game, when Colin McMorrin scored his debut try in rugby.  The converted kayaker, was fast up in support of a fine Billy Edment break to take an inside pass at pace, before slaloming up the pitch, looking fully at home in the wet conditions, to run 30 metres and dive in for a score in the corner.  All without a wet suit and buoyancy aid!  The home fans applauded “in oar” of the kayaker!

Half-time score was 17-0 in favour of the home side.

EOS-1D Mark III10782_DxO 1600After the break, Dalkeith raised their game and, after a period of pressure, scored a fine try to pull back the score.  For a period, it looked as though the visitors might add to their tally, but then a tactical switch moving James Timlin up to stand-off from full back swung things back in the Reds favour.

RoryFirst he released Rory McAdam to step his way over for a fine try under the posts, then his excellent grubber kick through resulted in a try for Euan Murray as the big centre took advantage of a splintered defence.  Chris Ronalson, who had converted one try in the first half, converted both these second half tries to give the Reds a comfortable 31-5 win in difficult conditions.

The young 2s team showed commendable spirit and adventure in the conditions and were anchored by fine displays from Kenny McKenzie – a rock in the pack – and his two front row colleagues, Ally McLean and Billy Edment.  In the backs there were classy displays from Chris Ronalson and James Timlin, to name but two.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black

More photos courtesy of Michael Nesbitt

Linlithgow RFC

James Timlin; Euan Dalgleish, Chris Ronalson, Euan Murray, Colin McMorrin; Colin Strachan, Robbie Thomson; Kenny McKenzie, Ally McLean, Billy Edment; Connal Black, Gregor Aitchison; Stu Young, Duncan McClymont, Gus McNab.
Steven Grant, Alistair Dunlop, Sam McAllister, Rory McAdam, Scott Carter (used)
Neil Dori-Muir (not used)