2s v Dalkeith 1s (Sept18)

2s Take on First Team Opposition in Friendly

Linlithgow 2nds  7 – 20  Dalkeith 1sts

Saturday 01 September 2018

Linlithgow 2nd XV were lucky to get a fixture against Dalkeith 1st XV as their previous fixture against Gala YM was called off. The team were keen to make amends after their previous game against Biggar where, although they had worked hard, the result did not eventually favour them. 

The Dalkeith team arrived and when they trotted out on to the park it was obvious that they were much larger, older and experienced than the Linlithgow team. As the Manager explained  this did not mean they were any better because of their size and he suggested if the team stuck to their game plan it should cause the Dalkeith players plenty of problems.

The game kicked off and the slight drizzle caused the ball to be greasy and the Reds 2s  immediately handed the advantage to Dalkeith from kick off. Scrum to Dalkeith and the pack which out weighed the Linlithgow pack by many kilos were always going to be dominant in this situation. The ball came out from the scrum and was passed across the Dalketh backs who looked sharp and quick. The ball ended up in the Dalkeith’s winger’s hands who rounded his opponent to score a nice try from the wing (0-5).   Fortunately for Linlithgow the Dalkeith kicker was not particularly good.  This was to the benefit of Linlithgow team and before long the Reds were camping on the Dalkeith line and from good pressure by the forwards and the press defence in the backs, James Timlin scooped up the ball and scored which Jeff Martin converted  (7-5).

Dalkeith were dangerous across all the backs and specifically the winger who again rounded the outside defence chipped the ball behind the cover and beat the home team defence to the touch down.  7-10 at half time.

At half time Chis Ronalson came off, Robbie Thomson retired injured after being squashed by a large Dalkeith player and Nicky Cowan went into the midfield with Jeff Martin moving to scrum half.  Dalkeith put pressure on again through a mixture of Reds mistakes and some heavyweight carries from the big forwards. Jeff Martin was shown yellow for a supposed knock down and the pressure was again on the Reds with 14 men.  In this time the Dalkeith side scored another try assisted by some good play and interesting decisions made by the referee.

The afternoon was becoming damp and dark with continuous whistling from the referee and stoppages which reduced the interest in the game for all concerned.  Linlithgow huffed and puffed but you never felt that we would get back in front. Dalkeith scored another try to leave the final score 20-7 to the visitors.

Everyone was happy for the final whistle but we all should take the positives from the game.  The forwards played well and stuck to their task, there was some good play across the backs at different times and 20 players got game time including Stu Gordon and Shug Cochrane which augers well for the thirds next week.