2s at Penicuik (Sept17)

Reds 2s Romp to Another Fine Nine Try Win

Penicuik  0 – 53  Linlithgow

Saturday 30 September 2017

The young Reds 2s have been in fine form this season and they were looking to continue their winning start to the league season with an away match at Penicuik.

From the start the team noticed that Penicuik had a bigger and older pack, so they talked about moving the ball around and trying to run them off their feet. This this they did from the start, creating space for Jeff Martin to score out an unconverted try out wide on the 6 minute mark.

This was followed by a good catch by Kieran Cochrane from the kick off and good handling from the whole team up the park for a second unconverted try scored by Rory McAdam.

Again Cochrane gathered from the ensuing kick-off and set up a new attack with the ball going through several players’ hands and back to Kieran Cochrane who continued the move into open ground for a try under the posts which was converted by Jeff Martin to make the score 17-0 for the young Reds with less than 15 minutes on the clock.

The home team stabilised and there was a lot of good rugby from both sides for the next 20 minutes, with play going from end to end. As halftime approached, the Reds put another fine move together with the ball going through many pairs of hands before Jeff Martin was put through a gap to claim his second try of the match.

Shortly after this, Penicuik lost a player to the sin bin and with good runs from Jeff Martin, Kieran Cochrane and Connall Black, to name a few, the half ended with Ross Tulloch scoring an unconverted try out wide. To compound Penicuik’s misery, they lost a second player to the sin bin for a high tackle on Ross as he scored.

Half time score: Penicuik 2s 0 – Linlithgow 2s 27

With their opponents down to 13 men at the start of the second half, the Reds put pressure on right from the start. This led to space out wide and a score for Lewis Herdman, which was converted by Jeff Martin. The next score went to Jeff Martin (his hat-trick), with both forwards and backs working well together and using moves worked on at training.

The Reds continued to press hard and the next try came from the forwards working hard from a line out with Calum McKeown scoring an unconverted try out wide. The last try of the day came from Lewis Herdman coming from the blind side wing on a great angle to cut the defence wide open and score under the posts for a try converted by Jeff Martin.

Final score:  Penicuik 2s 0 – Linlithgow 2s 53