2s at Accies (Sep 21)

Hat Trick for Muzz as 2s Roll On

Edinburgh Accies 12 – 41 Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 25 September 2021

The negotiations for this game started through the week with a request for a two oclock KO as Edinburgh Academicals were short on home pitches and Linlithgow were to play at the Broughton High School ground. This was agreed and then came the a request for uncontested scrums as Accies didn’t have any props apart from their first team!!!!!

The Linlithgow team, with a good squad of 20 players, arrived at Broughton at 1pm duly changed and prepared to find Accies casually arriving in dribs and drabs up to the KO at 2pm. Then the Referee informed us that because Accies only had 14 players we had to remove one of our players leaving us with 6 substitutes and Accies with the bare bones of a side.

Needless to say the Manager was fairly irate by this time with all the mayhem that was taking place and then “Oh sorry we’ll have to delay the KO until we’ve found post protectors!” Even then the game kicked off without any flags.

The Linlithgow team started well on a hard dry pitch with “Pooch” Jamie Tulloch showing up well in his return from the 1sts. The Accies had a very experienced stand off who had a good boot and this saved Accies on a number of occasions. Any transgressions by the Linlithgow lads was punished by his boot.  That said, Linlithgow were kicking well too and Gregor Mclean at stand off kept pushing us towards the Accies line. From a set piece Andrew Archer and Muzz Murray laid the ball off to Euan Mitchell who evaded a few tackles to run in from the 22.  Converted by Gregor McLean  (7-0 to the Reds).

The game ebbed and flowed and from an attacking move by Accies that broke down the Reds found themselves up near the Accies line after some good chasing by the winger Callum Miller and Euan Mitchell playing this week in the centre. From an ensuing scrum Andrew Archer and Euan Mitchell passed to Rory McAdam who evaded a tackle and stretched to score. The conversion was missed (12-0 to the Reds).

Edinburgh Accies scored a good try after a number of phases when one of their backs found himself against one of our props and he cruised around him to score (12-7 to the Reds). The Reds found themselves back up the park from the KO and, after an interval of play, Andrew Archer picked up from a loose ruck, drew the defence well and Aiden Wan on the wing scored a good try (17-7 to the Reds at half-time).

After half time, Fraser Mcintosh and Ewan Edwards went on in the front row with Jamie Currie going on to the wing, Hamza Arif to the second row and Jeff Martin at scrum half, it took  a few minutes for everyone to settle in to their positions.  Shortly after a sustained period of pressure Jeff Martin made a break supported by Muzz Murray who scored a try under the posts which was converted by Gregor McLean  (24-7 to the Reds).

Edinburgh Accies came back at the Reds and with some quality players in their backs scored a nice try (score 24-12 to the Reds). Aiden Wan came into scrum half and Jeff Martin went to stand off for the injured Gregor McLean, but the Reds lost little momentum with Muzz Murray in try scoring form. After some good interplay he scored again, which this time was converted by Martin (31-12 to the Reds).

Muzz Murray and Andrew Elliot added two more tries for the Reds and the score finished a satisfactory 41-12 for the Reds.

A second win for the twos in the league but the season will have many twists and turns before the final points are counted. All we can do is turn out and compete something we are capable of doing very well if availability on Saturdays is consistent.