Young Reds v Lasswade

Young Reds v Lasswade

Saturday 06 November 2021

Another strong showing with four wins from five games, with only the u18s featuring on the wrong side of the scoreline and that was after a tremendous performance with a side weakened by injuries.

Match Results

Age GroupMatch Score (Linlithgow score first)
U1827 – 35
U1648 – 0
S342 – 0
S251 – 7
S130 – 4

Young Reds S2 Report

“Best the boys have played all season.”

Report by Phil McCavish

Saturday saw the third competitive game of the season for S2 team, taking on a Lasswade side who offered a much stronger test than we had encountered in our first two games.

Linlithgow received the ball from the Lasswade kick off and scored under the posts after the most controlled period of play that the team has put together so far this season, retaining the ball through 8 phases of play before finally scoring from close range – the strong wind and greasy ball made this all the more impressive and pleasing.

Lasswade were typically direct and abrasive, trying to punch holes down the middle but time and again found that they were unable to make any significant progress against a committed and organised Linlithgow defence.

Linlithgow ran in 6 tries in the first half with Lasswade scoring one in return – the first competitive try that we had conceded so far this season.

The rate of scoring in the second half slowed as heavy rain combined with the strong wind to make the playing conditions even less favourable than in the first half. Linlithgow won convincingly in the end, beating Lasswade by 9 tries to 1 – which was all the more impressive given the conditions and the strength of the opposition. 

Special mention to Ryley who unfortunately picked up an injury that will keep him out for the next few weeks and also to Ektor who was playing his first game for a few years.

Young Reds S2 Team after the match

Young Reds S3 Report

Report by Gordon Muir

Linlithgow S3 turned up at a Lasswade High School pitch narrowed by the detritus from an unofficial bonfire night display. With an insistent cross-wind and a bit of rain on the breeze, it wasn’t really the day for fireworks on the pitch but the Young Reds mixed power and intensity with ruthless finishing to come away with a handsome win. 

Lasswade brought their typical size and physicality to the game but the ferocity of the Linlithgow tackling stopped them before they started and gave the home side real difficulty getting over the gain line. The ruck was hotly contested and closely refereed but Linlithgow made smart decisions about when to offload and when to take the ball to the ground and consistently made ground through the phases. 

The first try came early in the match as Lasswade’s biggest forward spilled the ball under pressure from a huge tackle and, a few phases later, with strong running, accurate passing and a few smart decisions, Linlithgow were over near the posts. With a vigorous young gale blowing across the pitch, conversations were a bit of a challenge but Ruairi stepped up nervelessly to slot the first kick and take the score to 7-0. 

Lasswade struggled to cope with the Young Reds’ intensity and the game settled into a pattern of Linlithgow moving consistently up the field, with the pressure only being relieved by a few too many lapses of discipline giving penalties that let Lasswade clear their lines. Nevertheless, the Linlithgow pressure and ability to get the ball into space created more scoring opportunities which were gratefully taken.

Lasswade worked their way into the half but determined tackling kept their attacks at bay. After a period of stalemate, the teams reached half time with the score 0-26. 

The second half began with more attacking energy from the visiting side resulting in a couple more quick tries. With the wind getting more determined and the rain beginning to make its presence felt, the error count for both teams began to climb and continuity of play was at a premium. Again it was the Young Reds who adapted best to the changing conditions as they made ground again and again and eventually got their rewards with some smart and skillful rugby football getting them over the try line. 

With a final score of 42-0, it was a tired, drookit but satisfied S3 team who climbed onto the bus back to Linlithgow.