Young Reds v Lasswade (Sept19)

Young Reds Perform Well Against Lasswade

Saturday 28 September 2019

Young Reds U18 Report

The Young Reds U18 arrived at Lasswade with only 13 players and decided to play competitively rather than concede the match. They started really strongly with some good direct play ending with Aiden scoring in 5 mins.   Gregor slotted the conversion to make it 7-0 to the Young Reds. 

Lasswade then rallied and after 9 minutes score a well worked try, which they converted to level the scores at 7-7.

The Young Reds regrouped and pressured the home team but with little success. Lasswade turned over ball and long diagonal kick ended in them scoring on 21 minutes.  From the resulting kick-off, the Young Reds took the ball upfield and put pressure on the home team line. This pressure eventually resuled in Charlie craching through for an unconverted try to again level the scores at 12-12, which was the score at half-time.

The second half started with some good play by the Young Reds and after some good rucking and direct running took the Young Reds deep into the Lasswade 22, Gregor scored directly off a scrum from a No. 8 pass from Jamie to give the Young Reds a 17-12 lead.

The Young Reds were reduced to 12 players when Alex had to leave the field with a head knock, which meant that the Young Reds were now playing with only 12 players against 15.  Lasswade were able to take advantage of this and pinned the Young Reds back in their 22 before scoring on 59 minutes to take the lead 19-17 with a converted try.

From the restart, more Lasswade pressure eventually resulted in them creating an easy overlap try out wide to make the score 26-17 in their favour with 5 minutes to go.

However, the Young Reds refused to roll over and dug deep to drive the play from the halfway line for Jamie to rumble over for a fine try which Gregor converted to make it 26-24 to Lasswade at the final whistle.

The thirteen Young Reds had played out of their skins and the coaching staff were extremely proud of how they played with a never say die attitude. As individuals they should be holding their heads high for a job well done.

Report by Graeme Miller

Young Reds S2 Report

S2s faced their toughest challenge in the league to date. With both sides unbeaten, Lasswade came with some really great players and a desire to dominate the middle of the pitch from the start. Unfortunately for them they were met by a fantastic display of tackling and rucking from the Linlithgow pack and backs. In a frenetic and highly challenging game both sides tried to dominate the game. With the breakdown ebbing and flowing it was Linlithgow that had the better runners and support play leading to a number of tries to the home side.  

Make no doubt about it, Lasswade put on a fantastic performance from their star players, but Linlithgow’s defence was immense. In attack the hard running and brilliant passing down the back line led to a flow of tries.  In the three 15 minute sessions Linlithgow put away 10 tries to 2 with Fraser, Caiden, Johnny, Daniel, Jack and Reece scoring tries and Logan and Euan J getting a couple of conversions each.  

Special mention to Jack McGee on some fantastic runs and to Reece who did the best side-step at pace I have seen this year.  Good luck to Fraser who twisted his knee after giving another talismanic performance.

Report by Mark Osborne

Young Reds S1 Report

Yet another sunny Saturday morning in September saw the Linlithgow S1 team welcome Lasswade to Mains Park. After the excitement of the games of the previous week(s) and some great work at training recently, all twenty-one of the Linlithgow squad were raring to go. 

The game started well for the Young Reds and in the opening few minutes they pinned the Lasswade team back to their own line. This was done through aggressive and relentless pressure, something that’s been worked on in recent training sessions, and it was great to see our work coming to fruition. Eventually the pressure told, and in the first 15 minute session we scored three tries to race to an 11-0 lead. 

The second 15 minute session was a different story, with the Lasswade team coming into it strongly. For some reason we didn’t manage to keep our defensive pressure going and  we allowed the strong runners in the opposition to build a head of steam. This led to us losing two preventable tries where we fell off our tackles. At the end of this session the score was 11-7 to the Young Reds.

The final third was thankfully a return to normal for the young Reds. After regrouping, we managed to get on the front foot in defence and made sure the first up tackles counted. This pressure again told on the opposition and we were able to create the space to score two more tries, with the game ending 19-7 to Linlithgow. 

All in all another great game for the squad. Everyone got their game time and everyone played their part.

Report by Stewart MacLeod