Reds v Forrester (March 2019)

Reds Ease Past Forrester Under the Lights

Linlithgow 12 – 7   Forrester

Friday 15 March 2019

Linlithgow played Forrester, the team immediately above them in the league on Friday night under the floodlights at Mains Park in front of a larger than usual crowd. This was arranged to allow everyone to watch the 6 Nations on Saturday. As it turned out, the weather deteriorated overnight and this was the only match played in our league over the weekend.  We also welcomed our first evening sponsored “lunch” with the Memories Club.

Linlithgow’s performances have improved lately and they were looking for their 4th consecutive league victory. Despite a couple of hiccups before the match, both teams were able to field strong sides.  Forrester were the first to press and, for the first 10 minutes Linlithgow were unable to clear their lines. It wasn’t a surprise when the visitors opened the scoring with a try under the posts, but there were a couple of missed tackles in the process.  

Linlithgow came back and probably should have scored when Cammy Walker made a great run down the right and tried to unload in the tackle to Mark Green, but it was knocked on.  Linlithgow also received an early blow as Green had to go off with a hamstring injury, replaced by Chris Ronalson. As the half progressed, the game became quite physical as neither team could gain any advantage. There were a couple of tasty challenges and perhaps the referee could have flashed a yellow card, but he didn’t.  Jack Frame brought Linlithgow back into the game with a penalty, and missed another just after.   Then Frame made a lung bursting run into the visitors 22, which led to a penalty, successfully taken by Rab Cairns as Jack got his breath back.  As half time approached, Linlithgow were the team pressing for the score, but lacked a cutting edge. Rab Cairns missed a penalty just before the end of the half.  At half-time the visitors held a one point lead (6-7).

The second half was mostly a midfield battle, with Linlithgow looking the more likely to score. As the game ebbed and flowed, man of the match Jack Frame scored 2 more penalties to take the Linlithgow lead to 12-7.   Linlithgow were always the more likely to score, but they squandered at least 3 try scoring opportunities by either knocking on or waiting too long to make the pass. The Reds defence was tight and didn’t allow Forrester any clear chances. As the half progressed Linlithgow were able to introduce quite a lot of energy into the forwards from the bench through Andrew Archer, Steven Grant and Joe McKillion. Although the scoreline was close and Linlithgow didn’t score a try, Linlithgow always looked the likely winners, but at least they kept the crowd guessing right to the end!


Jack Frame; Cammy Walker, Rab Cairns, Mark Green, Ross Tulloch; John Chapman, Cammy Murrie; Ally McLean, Stuart Cunningham, Adam Scott; Neil Lockhart, Kieran Cochrane; Euan Mochrie (captain), Cal Thomson and Mark Caddle.

Subs: Steven Grant, Andrew Archer, Joe McKillion, Chris Ronalson.