Reds v Dunbar (Nov16)

Reds Squeeze Out a Victory

Saturday 5th November 2016

Linlithgow  18 – 17  Dunbar


Ryan Forster leads out the side with Captain Craig Scott

It was a bitterly cold day with a stiff breeze. Everyone was getting ready for the annual town fireworks display, but first Linlithgow had some league business to attend to. After four games without a win, the pressure was starting to show and both teams really needed the points.

Linlithgow were under pressure from the kick off.  Dunbar forced several attacks and the home side had to defend resolutely. They also suffered a blow when winger Ross Plenderleith injured his hamstring. He was replaced by Fraser Mochrie.

After weathering the first 15 minutes, Linlithgow started to get their game together and Williams was unlucky not to run onto a through ball when he was obstructed. Linlithgow continued to press and were awarded two penalties in quick succession. Frame was unable to convert either.  Soon after that Dunbar opened the scoring with a fine try under the posts with the Linlithgow defence all at sea.

The game was even but it was error-strewn. Linlithgow ended the half strongly and might have had two tries when the easier option was to pass the ball outside. It wasn’t to be. The home players were frustrated and the referee had to speak to the captain twice about comments he heard. As the half petered out, Linlithgow did get a penalty and Jack Frame converted to make the half time score 3-7.

Linlithgow started the second half well, pressing forward. A Dunbar player received a yellow card, and Linlithgow should have capitalised straight away, but were penalised for crossing just a couple of metres short of the line. However, the try soon came when Chris Ronalson darted over from close in after several failed phases. Jack Frame converted.

The lead, however, was short lived as Dunbar scored a penalty to level the scores at 10-10. Linlithgow came back and from a position inside the Dunbar 22, the ball was dropped allowing Dunbar to race the length of the field to score under the posts, a try which they duly converted.

The home side were in familiar territory, a try down with minutes to go. However, they rallied and Cal Thomson scored in the corner giving Jack Frame a long distance conversion attempt for a draw. The kick went wide.

With the clock ticking Linlithgow were awarded a penalty from almost the exact place where the conversion had been missed a mere 3 minutes earlier. The crowd roared as Jack Frame showed great composure to slot the kick over and win the game for Linlithgow. Not convincing but very welcome nevertheless.


Jack Frame; Euan Murray, Eric Williams, Chris Ronalson, Ross Plenderleith; Andrew Whitelaw, Russell Murdoch; Billy Edment, Stuart Cunningham, Steven Grant; Pat Bennie, Craig Scott (capt); Euan Mochrie, Cameron Dori-Muir, Ross Martin.

Subs (all used) : Fraser Mochrie, Cal Thomson, Mark Caddle, Josh Hares.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black