Reds v Berwick (Apr17)

Reds Sign Off League Season With Fine Win in Sunshine

Linlithgow 34 – 17  Berwick

Saturday 08 April 2017

This was the last game of the season for both sides, and even though there was nothing at stake, both teams served up a real cracker in the spring sunshine. Linlithgow were led out by mascots Marc Thompson-Pueyo and Caiden Duncan, and the home side also welcomed prop Kenny McKenzie back for only his 2nd game of the season. The good weather brought out a decent crowd which included sponsors TGIF.

The game flowed from end to end and it was Linlithgow who took the lead after an excellent break by man of the match Sean Hagerty who offloaded to Euan Murray who went in at the corner. The conversion was missed. Berwick came back and scored a try which was converted. Linlithgow responded with a try in the opposite corner, Cameron Dori-Muir getting the final touch. The conversion went wide. The lead didn’t last long as Berwick responded with another converted try, and soon after they scored a penalty. As the half wore on, Linlithgow had the majority of the possession, however the visitors might have scored late on as they had a penalty awarded one metre out but elected for the line out and it came to nothing. Linlithgow ended the half on the Berwick goal line, but despite several phases the half time whistle went. HT 10-17

The second half started dramatically as Linlithgow scored in the corner through Cameron Dori-Muir, conversion missed. Then substitute Ross Martin was yellow carded. Linlithgow missed a penalty, before Berwick received a yellow card for a high tackle, but the referee might have played on as Stuart Bell was in full flight heading under the posts. The bonus try wasn’t long in coming as Ross Martin burst though the defence, again the conversion went wide. It was all Linlithgow now, and Stuart Bell scored a trademark try, breaking free 30 metres out and scoring under the posts, Frame converting. Linlithgow went down to 14 men when Kenny McKenzie was yellow carded for handling on the floor, but it didn’t stop Stuart Bell bursting through for his second try of the mach, duly converted by Frame.

This was an excellent team performance, and credit to both sides for serving up a very entertaining match which was played in good spirit. Linlithgow end the season mid table, winning 8 and losing 8, but they will be looking to improve on that next season.


Jack Frame; Euan Murray, John Chapman, Stuart Cunningham, Cal Thomson; Chris Ronalson, David Martin; Euan Gunn, Euan Mochrie, Steven Grant; Sean Hagerty, Stuart Bell; Mark Caddle, Craig Scott (capt), Cameron Dori-Muir.
Subs (all used) Robbie Thomson, Cammy Walker, Kenny McKenzie, Ross Martin.