Reds v 2s (Nov 21)

Another Huge Performance from 2s
– take Reds to the Wire!

Linlithgow 1s (Blues)  24 – 17  Linlithgow 2s (Reds)

Saturday 27 November 2021

The Reds have not had a competitive match for 4 weeks and looked a bit rusty at first against a 2s side that have had an excellent string of performances against strong opposition over the same period. The result was a very competitive and compelling match, with the senior side just edging ahead late in the game and shading the match by four tries to three.

The two teams at the final whistle

Both the Reds 1s and 2s were scheduled for home league matches on Saturday, but Storm Arwen had a major impact in the Borders over Friday causing widespread damage and blocking roads and, as a result, both their opponents (Duns and Kelso 2s) were unable to travel and had to postpone the respective league matches. The Reds Coaching team, keen for a competitive match, were quick to move to secure Paul Cyphus (the scheduled ERRS referee) and set up a 1s vs 2s encounter to give both teams a good run out.

Lewis Wells opens the scoring for the senior side (in blue)

With Thomas Veitch & Son and Shepherds as joint matchday sponsors, the game kicked off at 2pm on a windy but much calmer day now that the storm had passed. The 1s (playing in blue) took an early lead against the 2s (playing in red), through a Lewis Wells try, but were soon pinned back by an inspired 2s team, led by captain Andrew Archer and directed by stand-off Gregor McLean. The young stand-off has brought structure and direction to the 2s over recent games and this showed again on Saturday, as the 2s built up a lead with tries from Andrew Archer, Cammy Walker and Stuart Cunningham, with only a Euan Mochrie try in reply coming from the Reds.

Captain Andrew Archer crosses the whitewash
“Absolute determination” – the combined efforts of Mochrie, Martin and Tulloch can’t stop Cammy Walker
“Chunk” scores for 2s

In the end, however, the organisation and fitness of the 1s told and they ran in two fourth quarter tries, through Ross Tulloch and Cammy Murie to claim victory. By this time, the 2s had lost a few players and had centre Aidan Wan at scrum-half, with hooker Stuart Cunningham outside him at stand-off. No. 8 Kieran Cochrane took over the kicking duties after Gregor McLean departed with an injury and his kicking from hand was sublime, driving the 1s back time and again. 

Ross Tulloch pulls the Blues back into the match
Cammy Murie seals the win for the Blues

The sponsors decided to give two MotM awards to the two players they felt were outstanding, namely Andrew Archer and Fraser Mochrie – both 2s’ players. While the 1s were rusty and didn’t play to their full potential, they felt that both sides had contributed to an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable match. They were also full of praise for Paul Cyphus, the referee, who they felt handled the game very well – firmly but with good empathy with the players.

Message from Duns

Email from Duns’ Rugby Club President, Peter Gallagher:

Ken, thank you for your kind thoughts and good wishes. It certainly has been a dreadful night with a lot of damage locally. Fortunately no one has been injured but we have a lot of clearing up to do at the club. Posts broken and blown down, trees and debris to clear from our pitches and advertising boards blown away and damaged. The good news is the sun is shining today! 

We will certainly look forward to meeting up again at a convenient date for both clubs.

Thanks again