Reds at Broughton (Shield Oct15)

Six Tries See the Reds into the Semis

Broughton  15 – 40  Linlithgow

Saturday 24 October 2015


Mikey Walker opens the scoring

Last Saturday Linlithgow RFC travelled the short distance to take on Broughton FP in the Edinburgh Shield.  Although the Edinburgh side are a league below the Reds, the Linlithgow supporters will remember this was also true some years ago when the Broughton side defeated them in the Cup.  No one could take anything for granted.

The visitors started strongly and surged forward.  They spurned an early penalty chance at goal and kicked for the line-out.  From the resulting play, scrum half, Mikey Walker, burst forward through a couple of tackles to touch down.  Jack Frame added the conversion to give the Reds a 7-0 lead after only three minutes.

The Reds were reminded that they could not afford to relax when in their first foray towards Linlithgow’s 22, the home side won a penalty which they duly converted to cut the deficit.  Linlithgow resumed the pressure and returned upfield.  The second try resulted from a forwards drive that saw Chris Archer rise with the ball and, once again, Frame added the two points.

Although the Reds now had a useful cushion and were dominating play, the game was a little flat and it was the half hour mark before the Reds forwards again showed strength and drove the ball over the line.  This time it was the other prop, Calum McKeown, who claimed this score.  Jack Frame’s conversion took the half-time score to 21-3 for the visitors.


Euan Richardson came off the bench for first start

Linlithgow rang the changes at half time and it was pleasing to see among the substitutes, last season’s Player of the Year, Euan Richardson, come on for his first game since injuring himself in a pre-season match.  And it was not long before he made his presence felt.  Mark Green ran upfield and was well supported by Chris Bredin who, in turn, fed Euan Richardson to allow him to cross the line for a scoring return.  From wide out on the touch-line, Frame added the points with a superb kick.

There was a warning soon afterwards for the Reds that they could not afford to be complacent.  Broughton were trying to drive the ball over on the right when the ball was passed quickly left, leaving the visitors’ defence outnumbered.  The score was near the post, leaving an easy conversion.  Linlithgow hit back and, first of all, Mikey Walker had a surging run up field and then Jack Frame ran the ball out of defence but the Reds were not really clicking as a unit.


Chunk crosses for the Reds’ fifth try

This did not, however, stop the flow of the game towards the Broughton line and another attack saw Bredin once again deliver a scoring pass, this time to Stuart Cunningham.  Although Frame could not add to his personal tally, the score was still a comfortable 33-10 lead for the Reds.

The Reds were bringing the ball back upfield when one of the Broughton forwards intercepted a pass. A try looked certain but Richardson produced a blistering tackle to hold the attacker up.  The Reds defence was still stretched, however, and the home side dived over for an unconverted try.

As the game was drawing to a close, Linlithgow had their longest spell of sustained pressure on the home wide try line but could not manage the final touch until Ross Martin broke though and moved the ball out to Euan Murray who dived over for a score.  Frame’s conversion brought up the final score of 40-15.

In knock-out competitions, the result is all that matters and Linlithgow will feel that scoring 40 points away from home and progressing to the semi-final is a good return from a match when the Reds were not quite firing on all cylinders.

Linlithgow RFC:

Jack Frame; Garry Anderson, Mark Green, Scott Watson and Chris Bredin; Fraser Rankin and Mikey Walker; Calum McKeown, Stuart Cunningham and Chris Archer; Craig Scott and Stuart Bell; Euan Mochrie, Ross Martin and Charlie Gillanders.
Subs: John Pauley, Euan Richardson, Dougie Thomson and Euan Murray.