Reds at Berwick (April 18)

Match Report from Craig Young

Rugby report for Saturday 7th April 2018

Jack Frame; Cammy Murie, Andrew Whitelaw, John Chapman, Lewis Herdman; John Strachan, Jamie March; Chris Archer, Colin Devlin, Adam Scott; Neil Lockhart, Ross Martin; Euan Mochrie, Andrew Archer and Mark Caddle.

Subs: Sam Buckley, Kieran Cochrane, Lachlan McCall, Aidan Rennison.

Berwick 1st XV 34   Linlithgow 1st XV  22  

Linlithgow welcomed Jack Frame back at full back after injury as they travelled to Berwick for their penultimate league match. There is a set of results that could happen in the next 3 weeks that could see 3 teams relegated from the division, so there was more at stake in this match than first thought.

The match was played on the smaller 2nd XV pitch at Berwick, because the firsts pitch was unplayable. The pitchwas very soft and there were noticeable puddles after the first few minutes. The game was only a few minutes old when Berwick scored in the corner, the conversion going over from wide-out. This was the worst possible start for the visitors. However the Reds came into the game and, shortly after, scored a penalty through Jack Frame. 

Berwick came close to scoring again, but good work from Ross Martin saw off the danger. Linlithgow then went on the attack through Strachan. Berwick cleared the danger but only temporarily as Andrew Archer went over (right), converted by Jack Frame.

Berwick came back with an unconverted try before Linlithgow again scored. This time it was Colin Devlin, scoring his first ever senior Reds try (left). The conversion from Frame was good. Linlithgow ended the half under the cosh but great defence kept the half time score to a deserved 17-12 lead for the Reds.

After the restart, Frame had a chance to increase the lead but he hit the outside of the post with his attempted penalty kick. For the next half hour, it was Berwick who were making all the chances. They were winning most of the scrums in the wet conditions and their big forwards were making ground with every carry. 

Berwick took the lead with a converted try and then followed it up with a penalty. Then it was a double whammy for Linlithgow. They lost their own scrum on the 5 metre line, and with nobody to pick up the loose ball, Berwick got the touchdown, the conversion going wide. This put Linlithgow 10 points behind. With time running out, it was a case of déjà vu. On the halfway line the backs were throwing the ball around and one long lass was intercepted, Berwick scoring under the posts. The conversion ensured that Linlithgow were going home with no points. They did score a consolation try with the last play through Ross Martin (right), the drop kick conversion from March hitting the underside of the bar.

A poor loss, after a good first half, in a game where the conditions were far from ideal. Linlithgow played well enough to pick up a point, but yet again they gifted the opposition 2 tries. 

View Graham Black’s match photos