Academy v St Columba’s (Mar 15)

Saturday 21st March 2015

With these two teams having previously locked horns during the first match of the season, the outcome being stalemate at 12-12, Saturday’s re-match would be a gauge on who had improved the most over the current season.

Perfect weather, pitch in great shape and a healthy crowd of almost 50 spectators set the scene for what proved to be an evenly fought contest.

Linlithgow fielded a very strong side with a squad of 22 players which included Ross “The beast“ Dunbar fresh from his matches the previous week representing Scottish Under 18 development side against Romania.

As this was the final 15 a side School match of the season it would draw the curtain down on a number of players and of course it was also the last match in charge by the two Coaches Jim and Barry who have been ever present throughout the season providing excellent support and coaching.

Linlithgow started off in great form by winning good turn over ball direct from their KO. and immediately exerted pressure on the Visitors line.

St Columba’s managed to clear their lines only to be thwarted by a 40m run by Ross who took play back into the red zone.  Alas, the Reds then gave away a penally which again allowed the visitors to clear their lines.

With new found confidence, St Columba’s started to put a few phases together which resulted in a fine try after 13 minutes.

Play was even for the remainder of the half and the teams turned round at half time at 0-5.

Although the match proved to be an exciting and highly entertaining contest, the difference between the two sides was the defence.

St Columba’s applied constant pressure which made for attacking rugby by the home team somewhat challenging and the only option open to us was “Route one”, whereas the visitors were more direct and gained ground due to our defence being a tad slow up to engage.

Pressure payed off for the visitors with St Columba’s scoring after 9 minutes.

The game was played out in great spirit with both sides having an equal share of the ball.
The final word however came from the home side with a great try just on full time taking the score to 12-5 for the visitors.

Great match. Well done lads.


Please note, to those Players who have another season with the school, there is a match on Friday 3rd April against touring side Birkenhead.