2s v Currie 3s (Jan 17)

Reds 2s Succumb to Stronger Currie Bench after Great First Half Performance

Linlithgow 2s  0 – 27  Currie 3s/2s

Saturday 28 January 2017

The weather was dreich and the pitch damp for this game at home versus Currie thirds. The same scenario had developed in for the previous fixture with Currie Seconds having no game.  As a result, Currie brought a full strength team with the full 7 subs while Linlithgow had been gathering and cajoling players until the last minutes before kick off!

The team took the field with some new faces and returning faces for which the rest of us were grateful. Karl Day came over from Livingston and immediately was slotted into prop, and Andrew Birrell and Gary Laing were positioned at centre and hooker.  Russell (Lazarus) Murdoch walked into the changing room having not confirmed his availability and was slotted into the other centre role.

The team started well playing down hill and the slippy conditions helped the Reds team. Euan Conlon was struggling to find the standoff Jeff Martin due to the wet and cold conditions but when he did the backs of Martin, Murdoch and Birrell were taking the ball to the opposition and gaining ground. This was aided by strong performances from Lauchlan McCall, Gus McNab and the other new boy Lyle Martin.

The Currie players were continually thwarted by the strong efforts and tackling of all of the team were Duncan McClymont and Gregor Aitchison were leading by example. The Currie players seemed to get on the wrong side of the referee through frustration and a stream of penalties allowed Jeff Martin to kick and keep Currie in their own half.  However no scores were recorded in the first 40 minutes as the Reds had tried to pressure for tries instead of taking some pots at goal.

At half time you could see from the players faces that a lot of the team had expended most of their energy working extremely hard to maintain the 0-0 score line.

Currie went to their bench and replaced a couple of key players with older and more experienced forwards. This had an immediate effect in the fact that these players started to carry the ball aggressively towards the tiring Linlithgow pack. Before long these forwards were breaking the first tackle and off loading to the good backs that had been well contained in the first half. The Manager was forced into replacements as the tiring bodies began to look towards the touchline for respite. Hugh Cochrane replaced Stu Gordon and Donald Bennie replaced Karl Day but these replacements could have little influence on the final score and Currie ran in a few tries to leave the score 27-0.

Although it was a defeat the Manager and Captain Gus were very pleased with the efforts of the team. Remember this was Junior clubs seconds versus a Premier club’s thirds/seconds combined so it was of great credit that the young players stuck to their task so well.

Please keep your eye out on the website and Facebook for games as we now enter the international season where all club fixtures are disrupted for one reason or other. Training is still on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7pm and all second team players are encouraged to attend.

Match Photos courtesy of Michael Nesbitt