2s v RHC Cougars (Nov 17)

Rampant Reds 2s Chalk Up Another Big Win

Linlithgow 2s  67 – 0  RHC Cougars 2s

Saturday 04 November 2017

This home game saw the inclusion of Colin Devlin at hooker due to injury, the return of Gus McNab at number 8 and Jeff Martin at scrum half in a large and enthusiastic squad. RHC had made every effort to fulfil the fixture but were still short of front row replacements which we all knew under the laws of the game would result in uncontested scrums at some time. This can have a detrimental effect on the game at more senior level but it did not really matter to this 2s team who have confidence and can adjust to most situations.

The game started brightly with everyone finding their bearings and some wrong options which resulted in little scoring activity for the first 20 minutes. However Chris Ronalson created the first opportunity by chipping a clever kick behind the defence which Mayo Herdman pounced on to score. 5-0 to the Reds.

From the KO Gus McNab fielded the ball which was set up and carried through a couple of phases and the lines were cleared to touch. From the resulting RHC lineout, Jeff Martin harassed the opposition scrum half and Ally Walker picked up the ball to score which Martin converted. 12-0 to the Reds

In the next play “Dev” Devine in his first game for the club at hooker threw a very nice line out ball to Connall Black who passed it to Martin and then Timlin at standoff. James Timlin carried the ball forward and Cammy Walker came screaming from his wing to receive the inside pass opening the RHC defence and run the 40 yards to the line. Try converted by Martin. Score 19-0 to the Reds.

The team were now keen to score at every opportunity and from forward pressure and clean ball James Timlin glided through their defence to score. 24-0 to the Reds.

PJ Singleton and Chris Ronalson had a nice interchange with PJ scoring and, before half time, Jeff Martin ran from his own 22 to be caught on the RHC goal line, fortunately Cammy Walker who was supporting dived over. This left the score 34-0 at half time.

The Manager made wholesale changes at half time bringing on Kevin Wilson, Rory McAdam, Stuart Gordon and Guy Sutherland  taking off Ali Walker, Gus McNab, Cammy Walker, Ross Tulloch and Hasan Gurham Ilter. This change can sometimes not be totally beneficial to the style or continuity of play, but as we were now having uncontested scrums and leading comfortably it was the best thing to allow everyone game time.

The game continued with the Reds dominant in the second half and before long Chris Ronalson and Sam McAllister had scored, with Kevin Wilson stepping up to the kicking duties striking the ball very neatly converting both scores. 48-0 to the Reds.

Connall Black and Hasan Gulam Ilter both scored close up forward tries from good interchanges and pressure on the RHC line.  James Timlin scored another backs try  which were all converted by Kevin Wilson.

The final score was 67 points to the Reds and 0 points to RHC. Ken Richardson, who refereed with empathy and consideration considering the one sided nature of the contest, covered a fair few blades of grass over the afternoon!

Next week the Reds are due to play Dunfermline 12.30 KO . This is the most important game of the season as Dunfermline are our main rivals for the top spot and this change of KO time will not be of benefit to both sides. The Reds must drive for promotion as winning one sided affairs such as against RHC, who tried their best, does not help any of the participants in this league.


Ross Tulloch; Lewis Herdman, Chris Ronalson, Ally Walker, Cammy Walker; James Timlin, Jeff Martin (captain); Hasan Gurhan Ilter, Colin Devlin, Matt Sommerville; Connall Black, Gus McNab; Stuart Young; Sam Buckley and PJ Singleton.

Subs – Guy Sutherland, Kieron Faulds, Sam McAllister, Kevin Wilson and Rory McAdam.

Match photos courtesy of Hugh Cochrane