2s v Penicuik (Dec17)

Unbeaten Reds 2s Go Marching On

Linlithgow  49 – 5  Penicuik

Saturday 02 December 2017

Match Report by Des Martin

After pitch inspections in the morning the 2s were moved to the pitch at Kettistoun Mains Sports Centre. The pitch is a good size and well grassed but unfortunately there are more than a few irresponsible dog owners in Linlithgow who use this pitch for more than exercising their dogs. After the mess was lifted, the game commenced with Connall Black collecting the first kick off, the ball then being set up in a ruck with Kevin Wilson kicking to touch. Fortunately for the Reds the Penicuik line out thrower was erratic with his throws which resulted in a scrum feed to the Reds each time. The Reds worked their way up field and from a scrum the ball went across the backs and “Mayo” Herdman held on to a pass from Ali Walker cut inside and went below the posts. Converted by Kevin Wilson. 7-0 to the Reds.

The second try came 15 minutes in to the match, with Kevin Wilson taking the ball at standoff, passing to Cal Thomson and taking the ball again in a nice loop move. Cammy Walker always looking for a gap ran a nice line and took the ball off Kevin Wilson to streak through and score. Converted again by Wilson. 14-0 to the Reds.

The Reds were playing some good off-loading rugby but Penicuik were determined to play their game which was to use the heavier and older forwards in an arm wrestling competition to subdue our younger and lighter pack. At the break-down they liked to slow down the ball and the Reds wanted it quickly for the backs to run.  However Stu Young, Sam Buckley, Matt and Drew Sommerville, and Gus McNab in the forwards were determined to stand their ground which frustrated Penicuik.

Half time came and Hasan Gulam Ilter came off and Guy Sutherland went on. The Manager felt if the team maintained the structure of the game tries would come. Although the score was only 14-5 to the Reds, spaces were being created but we weren’t taking the opportunities.

Shortly into the second half, after a series of good plays and penalties, the Reds ended camped on the Penicuik line. In situations like this it seems that everyone has white line fever and tries to score, only to be repelled. However after numerous attacks on the line Kevin Wilson barged over to score and converted his own try. 21-5 to the Reds.

From scrum dominance, a nice ball came to Kevin Wilson who used a great cross field kick for Cammy Walker to sprint on to and score. 28-5   The next try came from pressure on the Reds line but the standoff rather than kicking for touch side stepped his way past a couple of attackers and passed to Cal Thomson on the wing. He showed a clean pair of heels and  ran 60 metres for a score, 35-5 to the Reds.

Additional tries were added by Mayo Herdman and  Russell Murdoch, the latter after a good break by Ryan Wilson.  The final score ended 49-5 to the Reds.

Edinburgh Northern away next week, let’s maintain this dominant top of the league spot. Well done to all.

Match photos courtesy of Michael Nesbitt