2s v Peebles (Sep22)

2s Shaded by Peebles in League Opener

Linlithgow 2s 17 – 20 Peebles 2s

Saturday 17th September 2022

Report by Ally McLean

If ever the phrase “it’s a game of two halves” was appropriate, it’s certainly the best description for the first league outing for our 2nd XV at home versus Peebles.

Peebles kicked off towards the club house and manages to get an early turnover which they were unable to take advantage of, after some back and forth play between the 22’s it was Linlithgow that opened the scoring on 5 minutes. A misfire at a Peebles Line out on their own 22 was gathered by scrum half Cammy Walker who broke 3 tackles to touchdown under the posts. Unfortunately the conversion went wide.

This got Linlithgow tails up and with the back line having a go whenever possibles. Some great work in defence as well with stand-off Freddie Adcock and captain Cal Thomson both turning the ball over multiple times at the breakdown.

Adcock’s kicking game was given the Reds good territory, and after kicking for touch from a turnover penalty, Linlithgow scored their second try, once again Cammy Walker taking advantage of some loose defending to go over the try line. Conversion missed.

On 25 mins, Peebles struck back on only their second visit in to the Linlithgow 22. After conceding a penalty following a lie out, the big number 8 from Peebles spotted a mismatch in the defensive line to drive over from 5 meters out.  The try was unconverted. 

Not to be deterred the Reds kept playing rugby, with centres Jack McNair and Ruaridh Stewart a constant threat down the middle, and loosehead Billy Edment getting involved as much as possible. It was a cheeky chip and charge from Edment that lead to the third try, with Billy gathering his own chip over the top but being stopped a few metres short of the line. The ball made its way out side to young Callum Lindsay who barged through two defends to score, Walker successful this time with the conversion.

Half time – 17 – 5

Peebles started aggressively in the second half, using their bigger pack to drive at the Reds defence and having success in starting to disrupt the reds at their own breakdown, preventing clean and quick ball from coming out. The Reds defended resolutely for 20 minutes with Cal Thomson, Matt Sommerville and a few others racking up double digits tackle counts in the process. Inevitably Peebles finally broke through to score, missing the conversion again.

Peebles were right back down the other end following the restart and again chipped away and a now tiring defence, their third try coming after several phases camped on the reds try line, and depots the hint of a knock on and a double movement, Peebles were awaited their their try, conversion missed again.

This seems to suck the wind out of an already tiring team and a little indiscipline lead to the fourth try from Peebles.

The Reds never gave up try hint and some aggressive running from Eioan Magee, and the boot of Edment again put the Reds in position from one last shot at the Peebles try line however it wasn’t to be and a very hard fought and tough encounter finished 20-17 in favour of our visitors. 

There is the basis of a very strong 2nd XV team here and if we can get consistency in availability and training attendance, there is no reason that this team cannot compete with everyone in the league.