2s v Murrayfield Wanderers (Sep18)

Reds 2s Run in 8 in Home Try Fest

Linlithgow 2s  57 – 24  Murrayfield Wanderers 2s

Saturday 08 September 2018

This home game was eagerly awaited as the pitch was in great condition and the seconds had a full strength team with a very strong subs bench. However Murrayfield Wanderers have had their difficulties this season as they lost their clubhouse and pitches which reverted back to the SRU. This had influenced the number of players available to them and they arrived with only 12 players. This meant that the Linlthgow subs who were volunteered played for Murrayfield for the whole game. Thanks to John Strachan, Stuart Chunk Cunningham and Stevie Grant for playing for the opposition but not for scoring the majority of their points!!!!!!!!!!!.

The game started brightly with Murrayfield carrying the ball strongly into the Linlithgow team and from a good ruck the ball was passed out for Chunk to score for Murrayfield.  The Reds held on strongly and maintained a stout defence with Colin Delvin leading in the forwards and working hard at the coal face. From a Linlithgow ruck, the ball won by the forwards and went across the backs, Kieron Faulds who had work to do released the ball to Mayo Herdman who scored. John Chapman converted from out wide to make the score 7-5 to the Reds.

Hasan Gulam Ilter was carrying the ball well and supporting Andrew Archer and Matty Sommerville to take the game to the Murrayfield forwards. The forwards were setting up the ball well and everyone was beginning to play with a bit of structure with John Chapman controlling things from stand off. Chris Ronalson unfortunately came off with a hamstring strain and Ross Plenderleith moved to centre with Cammy Walker coming on to the wing.  The backs were now getting quick ball and the ball went out to the wing were Kieron Faulds made good ground and released Ross Plenderleith who scored an excellent try.  12-7 to Linlithgow.   Kieron Faulds was involved again and retained the ball well for John Chapman to jink between the posts for a try which he himself converted.  (19-7 to the Reds)

Linlithgow were beginning to play some decent rugby and from a clean ball at a ruck Jeff Martin jinked, ran and then chipped the ball which ended up 10 yards of the Murrayfield line. Unfortunately the play broke down and the line was cleared. Kieron Faulds and John Chapman then linked well again for Cammy Walker to score before half time.  25-7  at the break.

Matty Sommerville showing up well caught the ball from the second half kick-off and drove forward strongly, the ball was then released to the backs and after passing through many pairs of hands was touched down for a try by Kieron Faulds, which was converted by John Chapman to make it 31-7 to the Reds.

John Strachan then scored for Murrayfield (31-12 to Linlithgow), but quick tries by Andrew Archer and Aidan Rennison took the score to 45-17.  As is the case with an open game like this more tries were added by both sides, Ross Penderleith and Jeff Martin both added for Linlithgow and Stevie Grant added for Murrayfield.  The final score to an exciting game was 57-24 to Linlithgow.   The Manager noted that we conceded 24 points too easily although overall he was happy with the performance of the whole team.

Thanks again to the lads who played the whole game for Murrayfield, it did make it a contest where 31 players all managed to play on a good day for rugby.

Linlithgow 2s
Ross Plenderleith; Kieron Faulds, Chris Ronalson, Aidan Rennison, Lewis Mayo Herdman; John Chapman, David Jeff Martin; Matt Sommerville, Colin Devlin, Calum McKeown; Hasan Gurhan Ilter, Neil Lockhart; Andrew Archer, Duncan McClymont and Kieran Cochrane.
Sub: Cammy Walker

Linlithgow players playing for Murrayfield Wanderers 2s
Stuart Chunk Cunningham, Stevie Grant and John Strachan.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black