2s v Forrester (Mar 17)

Reds 2s Run Up Fifty in Final Home League Match

Linlithgow 2s  53 – 3  Forrester 2s

Saturday 25 March 2017

The day was perfect for rugby and the Manager and Coaches had managed to scrape together a competitive side which we thought would be a match for Forrester. The team was missing captain Gus McNab with injured ribs, who had lead the side very well by example all season, and the ex school standoff Gregor Stewart filled the number 10 position having only turned 18 the day before. We also welcomed Chris Shanks, at full back, for his first game for a long time, Neil Lockhart at second row and Fergus Baird on the wing.

The game started brightly with Aaron Flucker and Neil Lockhart (just back from his honeymoon) carrying the ball well and making good ground in the centre and from the loose play respectively. Gregor Stewart at stand off showed maturity beyond his years and took on responsibility for directing operations and with Jeff Martin at scum half used the forwards well to carry the ball into the Forrester half. From a good piece of off loading and support play, where Lauchlan McCall, Stu Young, Bradley Lewis and Lyle Martin were all involved down the right hand side of the park, the ball was spun from Martin to Stewart and Flucker who switched with Rory McAdam on the wing for Rory to crash over. Good try 5-0 .

The Manager and supporters felt that more scores would come if the players all supported each other and played an expansive game on the wide park. From the kick off Bradley Lewis took a good catch made ground where the ball was set up nicely and then whipped by Martin to Gregor Stewart who embarked on a jinking run where he evaded most of the Forrester team and the covering support to score a nice individual try. The conversion was missed. 10-0 to Linlithgow.

As can often happen in a game the team went through a period of trying very hard with little positive result apart from infringements and penalties against us. Despite this the lads stuck to their tasks and from a good run and support play, where Aaron Flucker, Stu Young and Lauchlan McCall all were prominent, Cammy Walker finished off in his usual style His try was converted by Gregor Stewart to make the score 17-0 to the Reds.

The forwards were providing decent ball despite Forrester’s spoiling tactics and from one good attack, where the ball was spun wide, Fergus Baird came off his wing and looped the centres to appear outside Cammy Walker and show his speed by strolling to the line and scoring below the posts. This try was converted, 24-0 to the Reds.

The second half continued well as the Manager made some changes to accommodate the bench and use the players available, Lewis McKie came on at wing forward, Sam MacAllister on the wing and the Stu Gordon at prop. Connall Black who had been prominent all game caught a nice line out ball and the onrushing forwards blocked the path of the trialist scrum half who dummied them and broke through the middle of the line out. Neil Lockhart always in support took the return pass and raced from the half way line to score. 29-0 to the Reds

The Reds were now dominant in all aspects of the play and from a line out drive Lewis McKie dotted the ball down to score, 34-0. Cammy Walker scored again 39-0 and Forrester resorted to kicking penalties instead of trying to score any tries. A sure sign of the Reds domination of the game was when Connall Black fed Lauchlan MCall and he passed to Stu Young who sprinted fifty yards, yes fifty yards, to score between the posts. 46-3 to the Reds.

To finish off the game the Gregor Stewart not to be outdone scored again and converted his own try to leave the final score 53-3 for LRFC, a good day at the office as some would say.

For the Manager and Alan Dowell as the season draws to a close the most important thing was to see so many young players improving and maturing all season. Emphasis was made on the opportunities to play First XV rugby that was available to a lot of this team if some work and effort was made to training and performance.