2s v Forrester (Dec 14)

Reds 2s Run in 7 Tries to Brighten a Dull Day

Linlithgow 2s  41 – 7  Forrester 2s

Saturday 06 December 2014

A home friendly was arranged against Forresters in place of the cancelled league game against Portobello.

The game started brightly on a dull and windy Mains Park, with Linlithgow using the elements to good effect in gaining ground into their opponents’ 22. The home team were pressing hard and Forresters were struggling to clear their lines due a combination of the strong wind and the Linlithgow pressure. 

From good pressure, Euan Murray made a clear break and the ball came along the backs to Kieron Faulds who touched the ball down (5-0). This was converted by Jeff Martin from the touch line.  

Play continued in the Forrester half and, from a good passage of play across the field, prop Gary Laing side-stepped one of the opposition and threw a horrible pass which was held by Kenny Mckenzie as he fell over the line.  Jeff Martin stepped up to convert easily again (14-0 to Linlithgow).

The rest of the first half resulted in no further scores and you felt that Forresters would take advantage of the strong wind in the second half and that 14 points might not be enough of an advantage.

The second half started and immediately Forresters  put pressure on with a scrum in the home side 22. Forresters were showing their intent to squeeze the younger, lighter Linlithgow pack and use their strength to score tries. The young Reds defended well but the referee became fed up with Linlithgow’s persistent infringements and awarded a penalty try to the visitors. (14-7).

The Reds always looked capable of scoring tries as long as they were not embroiled in the wrestling match which was favoured by Forresters and from open play Euan Murray sliced through to score (19-7).

The Reds had to replace Kenny Mckenzie in the front row as he had hurt his rib and this resulted in uncontested scrums which favoured the home side and negated the oppositions main attacking weapon.

From a kick off Garry Anderson caught the ball and made a break off loading to Gus McNab who carried the ball into the opposition 22.  From a resulting penalty Tom Townend broke through and scored. (24-7) 

Forresters were trying very hard and their main playmaker chipped the ball over the Linlithgow defence but it was neatly intercepted by Neil Dori-Muir who offloaded to Jeff Martin in the 22. Jeff looked up and sidestepped the first tacklers, decided he had the gas, and evaded a number of further attempted tackles to score a try between the posts which he converted himself.  (31-7). 

Linlithgow scored a couple more tries which were unconverted to leave the score 41-7 to the home team. This was a good performance by this Reds team, however continuity of selection and availability influences the eventual performances of this team on a weekly basis.