2s v Dunfermline (Nov17)

Reds 2s Go Marching On!

Linlithgow 2s  33 – 8  Dunfermline 2s

Saturday 11 November 2017

The kick off was brought forward to 12 noon for this top of the table clash due to the Scotland international at BT Murrayfield. Fortunately this did not influence selection and the Reds had a very balanced team on paper for this game. The weather was sunny and bright and all the supporters watching new that this would be a true test of the young Reds (exception big Stu Jamieson) for the first time his season. The Manager did some straight talking at the warm up explaining the tactics he expected against a larger and heavier Dunfermline team. Tackles should be low, stopping the big runners in their tracks and allowing others in the Reds fair opportunity for turnovers and penalties.

The Reds carried out these instructions well in the first period and Kevin Wilson slotted two penalties to give the Reds a 6 point lead. Dunfermline were frustrated by the excellent tackling of all the players, in particular Sam Buckley, Stu Young, Kieran Cochrane and Connall Black.  The Reds back line, with Chris Ronalson, Jeff Martin and “Hoochie” Tulloch kicking astutely were pinning the Dunfermline team back in their own 22 at every opportunity. From a good kick and chase up the park Cammy Walker scored a try which was not converted. 11-0 to the Reds and the tactics and strategy being carried out by Robbie Thomson and Chris Ronalson of keeping ball in the opposition half resulted in another penalty, kicked by Kevin Wilson, before half time. 14-0 at the break.

Hasan Gulam Iltrer came on for Sam Buckley and Russell Murdoch came on for Kevin Wilson in the centre and the half time instructions were “no let up” as the game is never won in the first half, things can change quickly. This team had done that to us in the previous fixture and had come back very strongly in the second half.

However a mistake by the Reds straight from the restart allowed Dunfermline a penalty which they converted 14-3. Fortunately the Reds defence remained firm and the tackling and pressure continued on the Dunfermline line. From the line out Connall Black won a good ball and the ball was driven forward, Cammy Walker nipped round the side of the ruck and scored, 19-3 to the Reds. This relaxed the team and everyone knew if we continued the pressure more tries would come. From a good run by the backs including Chris Ronalson and Jeff Martin the number 8 Kieran Cochrane scored and converted his own try. 26-3 to the Reds.

The Dunfermline team saw the game slipping from their grasp as after some good rucks by the Reds forwards, scrum half Robbie Thomson played the ball intelligently down the park and into touch. From the resultant line out the Reds won the ball it came back to Chris Ronalson who executed a delight full cross kick against the run of play. Cammy Walker, always alert and having a cracker of an afternoon, caught the ball in full flight and scored behind the posts. Converted by Cochrane.

The Dunfermline players were stung into action by this and scored a consolation try for the final score to end 33 -8 to the Reds. This team goes marching on and is supposed to play Stewarts Melville next week, if they honour the fixture!!!!   They have not been very good at this all season.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black