2s v Dunfermline (Feb17)

Good Bonus Point Win for Reds 2s Against Strong Opposition

Linlithgow 2s  29 – 22  Dunfermline 2s

Saturday 18 February 2017

There was a great buzz at the rugby club on Saturday with the 1st team playing Murrayfield Wanderers in the BT Edinburgh Shield Final and the seconds against Dunfermline. The “Thursday Night footballers” were sponsoring the game dressed in very impressive “Reds” outfits from top to bottom.

The Manager was optimistic for the Seconds team as he had 23 players listed on his team sheet. However by kick-off time this number had dropped with with a few no-shows, but the 2nds still had a good quorum to play Dunfermline who had arrived with only 15 players.

The game started brightly for Linlithgow on a muddy and sticky bottom pitch. The ball was being recycled well by the forwards and the back line was handling well getting the ball to the wings. Dunfermline however were holding their shape but eventually from a pick up in midfield at a scrum by Lauchlan McCall the ball went to Robbie Thomson then Jeff Martin who slipped the ball to Chris Bredin. Chris making his comeback from a long layoff ran a nice line and cut through the defence for the a score. The conversion hit the post and bounced back out (5-0 to the Reds 2s).

The forwards were playing well with Ally McLean, Bradley Lewis, Lyle Martin and Drew Sommerville all carrying and tackling hard. This resulted in a period of sustained pressure on the Dunfermline line. After a number of attempts, Chris Bredin took a long pass from Robbie Thomson and dived over in the corner. The conversion was missed (10-0 to Linlithgow).

From any opportunity Lyle Martin, Drew Sommerville and Nick Igoe were catching the eye and carrying forward well to the opposition, this allowed the backs of Thomson, Martin and Murdoch to bring Cammy Walker and James Timlin into the attacks. From one such attack Lauchlan McCall who was supporting well as usual scored a nice try, this was converted by Martin (17-0 to Linlithgow).

From a good line out catch and drive in the Dunfermline 22 the ball was carried well by Chris Bredin in midfield supported by Robbie Thomson who offloaded to Jeff Martin for a score under the posts, this was converted by Martin to make the score 24-0 to the home side at half time.

Things seemed well in control by Linlithgow at half time and with a bench all keen the Manager made some changes.  Lyle Martin went off to work (dedication to rugby and work but advice was given as to what his priorities should be in the future)  and he was replaced by the evergreen Hugh Cochrane. Alexander Douglas came on for Big Gus who said himself that he was having an off day and Rory McAdam came on for Chris Bredin. As is often the case a number of changes can upset the rhythm of a side and Dunfermline came back into the game scoring a quick couple of tries before the Reds had settled. The game ebbed from end to end and in this period Rory McAdam scored a great individual effort after a kick across the park by “Lazarus” Murdoch to bring the score for Linlithgow 29 Dunfermline 17.

The game finished with the “Hero” Rory blotting his copybook and fumbling a sure fire score on the line.  Dunfermline scored another in the dying seconds to leave the final score 29-22 to Linlithgow.

“Phew” it was a near go at the end but a good win for the Reds.  The Dunfermline captain was delighted that his team had secured 2 bonus points by scoring 4 tries and coming within a score of Linlithgow at the end. The Linlithgow Manager was even happier with the 5 points – 4 for the win plus a try bonus point.

Welsh opposition on Friday night under the floodlights, with a kick off of 7pm, as a warm up for the international weekend.  Please reply to the coaches request for availability.