2s at Preston Lodge (Nov19)

2s Claim One Point Win at PL

Preston Lodge 2s  12 – 13  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 16 November 2019

Report by Des Martin

Linlithgow travelled around the city bypass to East Lothian for this game against a team that had shown some good results in the league. The Reds had a strong team although not many reserves as big Shug Cochrane ended up as the only replacement. Preston Lodge seemed to have plenty of players by the time kick off came although their Manager was lamenting he never knew how many would appear on any match day. Something the Linlithgow Manager could empathise with!!

The Reds kicked off and worked the ball well down the park through carries from Adam Scott, Patrick Bennie and Duncan McClymont, The defences from both teams held up well and good tackling by both sides meant that the game was played for a lot of the time in the middle of the park.  The Reds were awarded a penalty mid field and Jeff Martin kicked the ball into the PL 22. From the lineout Duncan McClymont caught the ball cleanly and from a succession of mauls George Carmichael the scrum half made a break close to the line.  Stu Young stole the ball at the next breakdown which developed and scored a nice try. Jeff Martin missed the conversion 5-0 to Linlithgow.

As is often the case the Reds relaxed or PL doubled their efforts and made a surge for the Linlithgow line. Through a number of strong carries although well defended by the Reds this resulted in a number of the Linlithgow players being drawn out of position. The PL standoff spotted the space out wide and put the winger into the corner to score.  5-5  each as the conversion was missed.

Preston Lodge utilised their subs well and the Reds worked extremely hard at their defence with the game moving between the 22s. A strong drizzle developed into rain and everything became wet and greasy with poor light not assisting the ball handling.

Jeff Martin chipped a ball from a ruck down field which he followed up with a strong tackle on the PL player. Mayo Herdman was on hand to assist and he then passed to Russell Murdoch who waltzed his way through a number of defenders  to score a great try which was not converted.  10-5 to the Reds

The lead did not last very long as PL used the same tactics that they had utilised successfully earlier, a series of forward drives sucking in the Reds defence and then a kick out wide to score a similar try which they converted to give a half-time lead at 12-10.

The afternoon was dank, dismal and damp, but the Reds worked hard in every aspect of their play, sometimes carrying too much in midfield in the Manager’s opinion.  These carries by Andrew Archer, Stu Young, Matty Sommerville and Pat Bennie were repelled well by the PL defence and the Reds scrum half and standoff never seemed to get space from any ruck, maul or set play.  This resulted in no scores in the second half until 10 minutes from the end when the Reds made good ground through Adam Scott and Andrew Archer. A penalty was awarded within kickable distance and Russell Murdoch stepped up and slotted the ball over to give the Reds a 13-12 lead. 

PL came back from the KO and caught the ball which they carried down the field.  The Manager, Alan Dowell and Hugh Cochrane had an anxious wait for the next 5 minutes until the final whistle went.  A great team effort by all 15 players, who had all played the full 80 minutes and were exhausted at the end!

Particular thanks to Pat Bennie who travelled that morning from Kings Cross into Edinburgh and then Prestonpans to play, a great effort for the team!