2s at Leith (March 22)

Four Tries for Cammy in 2s Win

Leith 2s  12 – 47  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 5th March 2022

Report by Des Martin

The Linlithgow Seconds departed for Leith Rugby Club on a cracking day for rugby with a good team and adequate replacements. The squad left at 1-00pm for the 3-00pm KO which should have been plenty of time but we hadn’t allowed for the Edinburgh traffic. The last two players from the squad arrived at 3-10pm which didn’t give a very good preparation for the KO. So much for minimum travelling time and local rugby.

The Manager was lucky that Hugh Cochrane had volunteered to bring his boots so he started and Rory McAdam came into the starting line up.

Leith started brightly and Linlithgow were slow out of the blocks, so for the first 20 minutes Leith had the upper hand and attacked the Linlithgow half. All of their attacks were repulsed fairly easily but they got a kickable penalty which went wide.

The Manager felt the team were settling down into he game and Cammy Walker made a great break and was ably supported by Andrew Graham on an inside line who scored under the posts. The try was converted by Cammy Walker (7-0 to the Reds).

The Reds were playing well and exerting pressure on the Leith line, so from a scrum inside the 22 in front of the posts Gregor McLean received a nice ball from Tom Cole at scrum half, he dummied and broke through loose tackling to score under the posts, again converted by Cammy Walker (14-0 to the Reds).

The forwards lead by Andrew Archer and ably supported by Eiogan Magee, Andrew Graham, Kieran Cochrane and Adam Scott were exerting great pressure on the Leith team and from a penalty against the home side, Cammy Walker showed quick thinking and feet to take a quick tap, evade a number of defenders and score under the posts, converting his own try to make it 21-0 to the Reds.

From the next KO the Reds made a number of silly errors to give away the ball either through penalties or bad handling and, before they knew it, the Leith team were on our line and managed to squeeze over for a try. The referee also sin binned Adam Scott for persistent team infringements in the lead up to the score.

21-5 at Half Time

After the half time talk, where the Reds were warned not to be complacent and to cut out the penalties, Cammy Walker came out came out and scored two more tries, one where he ripped the ball off a forward and barrelled his way over the line. He also converted both these tries to make the score 35-5 while the 2s were down to 14 men.

The next try came from Aiden Wan who followed up and supported Eiogan Magee who had made a great break from the half way line and when the ball came out Aiden was there to score, converted by Cammy Walker.

It was mostly the Cammy Walker show now as he scored another try after slack tackling let him through and he converted again. Another try was scored by Leith and converted, but the final score ended up 47-12 to the Reds.

This was a spirted performance against a committed Leith side who keep going throughout the game. Well done to the Reds with good steady performances by the back row and half backs making it easier for Cammy Walker (and others) to score. Let’s have lots of commitment over the next few weeks to try and target at least a couple more wins and finish the season in style.