2s at Inverleith (Oct 17)

Des’ Match report

Reds 2s Continue Their Cracking Run

Inverleith 2s  5 – 74  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 21 October 2017

Linlithgow arrived in Edinburgh for an early 1pm KO at the request of Inverleith. The pitch was in excellent condition thanks to the skills of the Stewarts Melville groundsmen who are now the custodians of the Inverleith pitch and have created an excellent playing surface.

Robbie Thomson volunteered to captain the team and the Manager was excited by the prospect of a starting front row who have just turned 18 years old and are very capable of competing well in senior rugby.  How times have changed at Linlithgow as there were no fewer than 6 recent ex youth players in the starting squad, the front row of Sam Buckley, Callum Forbes, Matt Sommerville and Kieran Cochrane at no 8 with Aidan Rennison and Ross Tulloch in the backs.

The game started well with Connall Black in the forwards showing his younger counterparts how to carry and compete for the ball. After a succession of good drives keeping control of the ball, Chris Ronalson switched with Ross Tulloch who scored the first try, 5-0 to the Reds.

Inverleith, who were a much older and experienced team, did not have many options out wide and so had to resort to driving at the Linlithgow forwards. This was a reasonably successful tactic but gained minimal ground for the home team, who inevitability coughed up the ball through a mistake. From one such error Cammy Walker, the Armadale poacher seized the ball and skipped in for a try which he himself converted. 12-0 to the Reds. Cammy Walker managed to score another try before half time to add to the try scored by Chris Ronalson. The score was 24-0 at half time to the Reds and everyone felt there was more to come in the second half as the team were changing round to play down the slope for the second half.

The Manager brought on Aidan Rennison and Hasan Gulam Ilter for the second half and Aidan Rennison made an immediate impact by showing his pace and scoring below the posts, converted by Cammy Walker.   31-0 to the Reds.  Directly from the KO the ball was won by the forwards and Robbie Thomson slid a delightful through ball that Cammy Walker picked up and scored for his hat-trick and, after his conversion of his own try, the Manager substituted him and replaced him with Sam McAllister. 38-0 to the Reds and the score was only going to get bigger for the Reds as everyone wanted to score and the Inverleith team were well beaten even at this stage.

Additional tries were added by Russell Murdoch with an interception and canter to the line, Sam McAllister, after nearly every back had handled and supported well, James Timlin who squeezed in the corner after good forward support, Aidan Rennison again his second, James Timlin, who tapped and took a quick penalty, his second and Mayo Herdman who completed the route.

The final score was 74-5 to the Reds – the highest this season so far. Hopefully we can continue in this very positive vein of form for the rest of the season, The Manager sees no reason we cant with such a good squad of players. It turned out a successful day for the Reds as the Seconds went over to Forrester to watch the Senior team notch up a convincing win over their opposition and the Thirds in their first outing had a convincing win at Queensferry.

Des Martin,
Team Manager

Linlithgow 2s
Ross Tulloch; Lewis Herdman, Russell Murdoch, Chris Ronalson, Cammy Walker; James Timlin, Robbie Thomson (captain); Sam Buckley, Callum Forbes, Matt Sommerville, Connall Black, Duncan McClymont, Stuart Young, PJ Singleton and Kieran Cochrane.

Subs – Hasan Gulam Ilter, Sam McAllister, Murray Smith and Steven Grant.

Match photos courtesy of Graham Black