2s at Inverleith (Jan17)

Another Good Away Win for 2s

Des’ Match Report

Inverleith 2s  5 – 45  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 07 January 2017

It was the first game back for most after the holiday excesses and the 2s had a good team on paper. As usual there had been changes up to the last minute with Keiron Faulds making himself available due to changes in work and Andrew Archer and Gareth Duncan volunteering to assist as Broughton had no game.

Inverleith do well to field a 2nds team and had done well to collect 13 bodies to play on Saturday. The Managers agreed at the beginning that the league points would go to the Reds as Inverleith could not field a full team, but that Linlithgow would give them the two Broughton players to make two full 15s at the start.  The game would then be classed as a friendly and played accordingly!!

The game started brightly and Cammy Walker finished off a good move from the backs to make the score 5-0. It looked as this could be the pattern of the game and that a rout would take place but 30 minutes passed without any other scores. In this period Lauchlan McCall and Gus McNab were tackling well and Cal Thomson and Jeff Martin had some good runs with the ball. However the play inevitably broke down with small errors or the referee penalised the Reds for some indiscretion.

The Reds kept working and Cammy Walker managed to score another good try after Euan Conlon had made an audacious chip ahead and gained 40 metres. 10-0 to the Reds. The Reds scrum which was performing very well with Ally McLean, Stuart Gordon and Jamie Dyet in the front row provided a steady platform for Gus McNab to pick up from no 8 and burst to the line. Jeff Martin converted. 17-0 at half time.

After half time and playing down the park Scotty Watson started to kick the ball well into the Inverleith half. Good following up by Rory McAdam and Connall Black resulted in Cal Thomson scoring Jeff Martin converted, 24-0.

Inverleith now decided to revert to keeping the ball tight and up the jumper with the forwards, as their backs were struggling against a young Reds back division full of running, and from a prolonged period of pressure managed to score a try.  (24-5)

However this massive effort more or less finished Inverleith and tired them out as Cammy Walker scored two more tries from open play, both converted by Jeff Martin (38-5). The final score came as Jeff Martin collected a final kick off and waltzed through a demoralised and defeated Inverleith team to score between the posts, leaving himself with a straightforward conversion.

The score at this stage was 45-5 to the Reds so both Managers decided that nothing more was to be gained from continuing and the game stopped 10 minutes short.

Manager’s Summary

Thanks to the Broughton boys who played for Inverleith and well done team but more difficult games lie ahead, please make yourself available for the rest of the season.