2s at Hillfoots (Oct 19)

2s Too Strong for Hillfoots

Hillfoots  0 – 60  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 12 October 2019

The Reds set off for Tillicoultry for this hastily arranged friendly for Linlithgow Seconds. On arrival at the Hillfoots the team were greeted by the President Gavin Spowage who had played at Linlithgow around the year 2000. He was delighted that we had made the journey across, as Arbroath had called off leaving his players without any rugby.

The Reds kicked off playing down the slope and before long were putting pressure on the Hillfoots line, from a good move across the backs Jeff Martin slipped the ball to Kye Lenders who sprinted to score  5-0 to the Reds.

The Reds were playing well controlled football with Muzz Murray and Chris Ronalson in midfield spreading the passes and kicks intelligently. From a nice kick by Murray good pressure was exerted and from a lineout eventually Chris Bredin barged over to give the Reds a 10-0 lead.

The forwards were providing good ball for the backs and, from a ruck ball won by the back row of Stu Sommervail and Mayo Herdman, Robbie Thomson whipped the ball out quickly and Jeff Martin flicked the ball to Kye Lenders for his second try, which was converted by Kevin Wilson for a 17-0 lead.

Pat Bennie and Lewis McKie were controlling and catching every kick off, with good drives from Stu Young and Kenny McKenzie the ball was being set up very cleanly. This allowed the backs to show good structure, handling and running lines and, from a good period of play, Mayo Herdman scored to give the 2s a 22-0 lead at half time.

Hillfoots made a few changes to strengthen their team and the Reds were playing uphill so the Manager was nervous about the second half but he should not have worried.  The Reds started off the half by putting pressure on Hillfoots and before long Chris Bredin scored  a try which was converted by Chris Ronalson to make it 29-0 to the Reds.

The Reds were playing intelligent rugby with half-backs Robbie Thomson and Kevin Wilson keeping the Hillfoots team in their own 22. This was assisted by good chasing by the wingers and the full back, which put lots of pressure on Hillfoots. From a ruck ball Pat Bennie, the second row, showed a nice sidestep and sprinted from the 22 to score (36-0 to the Reds). 

From another good phase of play the ball went across the backs and Jeff Martin scored a try, which Chris Ronaldson converted. Then, quick thinking by Aaron Flucker brought a try from him from a quick tap penalty and the score was now 48-0 in the Reds’ favour.

Gavin Spowage of Hillfoots was correct when he said their heads went down, because Chris Ronaldson, Chris Bredin and Kenny McKenzie all added scores to leave the final score 60-0 to the Reds.

Great team play by the Reds showing good structure right through the team and a great result.  There’s a big league game next week versus Edinburgh Accies at home which will prove a tougher test for the 2s.