2s at Dunfermline (Nov 14)

Dunfermline Too Strong for Weakened Reds 2s

Dunfermline 2s  41 – 14  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 29 November 2014

Linlithgow’s Seconds departed for the rearranged league game at Dunfermline with a much changed team.  The captain of the Academy Seniors, Euan Mochrie, was joined by team mate, Steve Grant, as well as Kenny Mckenzie and Hugh Cochrane appearing back after long term injury.

The Reds started brightly against an experienced Dunfermline team with Gus McNab tackling bravely against some strong running from Dunfermline.  The home side strung together a few good passes from a line out to score after ten minutes.  This stung the Reds into action and good attacking from the kick off saw Euan Murray and Robbie Thomson get the ball into the 22, where, from a line out, the ball was passed to Chris Ronalson who switched with Euan Murray who strolled below the posts to score to tie the scores.

The strong Dunfermline team were putting a lot of pressure on the Reds and all the boys were trying valiantly.  Unfortunately Adam Nelson was penalised and the opposition slotted the penalty.  Hugh Cochrane had to retire after twenty five minutes and the game was reduced to uncontested scums as Linlithgow had no front row replacements.  Dunfermline capitalised on the disruption and scored three more tries to take the score to 31-7 at half time.

During this period Scott Watson had taken a knock and had to come off, complaining of a sore chest which resulted in a precautionary trip to hospital. Jason Dawes, another welcome returner, after a couple of seasons out with a broken leg, came on leaving Linlithgow with no more replacements.  Jason used his experience and enthusiasm to drive the team forward and some of the younger players started to believe they could take the play to the opposition.  This resulted in a try for James Timlin.  

The opposition started to use their bench of eight players and the Reds who had tried hard started to tire.  Dunfermline scored a couple more tries to run out easy winners, 41-14, in the end.  The Reds can take positives from this performance – the young players acquitted themselves well, some players returned who strengthen the squad and they had played one of the strongest and best teams in the league.