2s at Bo’ness

Entertaining Game as Reds 2s Win at Bo’ness

Bo’ness  0 – 36  Linlithgow 2s

Saturday 3rd December 2016

The Seconds traveled over the “flints” to nearest neighbours Bo’ness for this fixture. The team were playing their first game for a number of weeks due to the Autumn Internationals and the Manager knew that the team would need a bit of time to get up to speed. Indeed our two most “punctual” players Drew Sommerville and Rory McAdam nearly missed the KO having decided to get haircuts!!!! Imagine what the Manager said! “Haddocks” was the printable description.

The first 20 minutes were sloppy with minor errors and everyone getting the feel for the game. The Referee Ken Richardson was fair but firm and was determined to keep an open game with the ball moving which suited the much lighter and younger Linlithgow team.  Bo’ness were determined to try and use their weight to intimidate Linlithgow but Bradley Lewis and Alexander Douglas in his first game for the Seniors were tackling well.

The Bo’ness team were limited in their options and Linlithgow with Euan Conlon at scrum half were pushing the ball wide at every opportunity. From a penalty Connall Black acted quickly to tap the ball and drove through the whole Bo’ness forwards who were not awake to touch down for the first try.

Linlithgow were dominant in most aspects of play and Kevin Wilson used his skill and strength to power over for a try after a good passage of play involving Cammy Murrie, Scott Watson, and Cammy Walker. The try was converted by Cammy Walker who added a penalty soon after to make the score 15-0 at half time.

The Manager spoke to the players and advised them to keep shifting the ball away from the contact and run the larger Bo’ness team off their feet. He also reminded them that for all our dominance we were only 2 scores up and that we needed more points.

After the start of the second half all the team came together with good runs by Drew Sommerville and Bruno Mochrie carrying well to the opposition. From one such effort the ball game across the back line and Kevin Wilson wrestled his way over and touched down. The Reds backs were getting good ball from the pack and the backs, with Scott Watson and Russell Murdoch always looking dangerous on the ball, were stretching the home defence to breaking point. Linlithgow scored again quickly after the ball was passed across the Reds line and Cammy Walker, appearing on the opposite wing, made the final line break to score a fine try, which he converted himself to make the score 29-0.

From a scrum on the half way line Euan Conlon, the scrum half, picked up the ball on the blindside and evaded a number of despairing tackles to canter over and score behind the posts. The try was converted by Cammy Walker to give a final score of 36-0.

It was nice to play Bo’ness as it was a rearranged friendly fixture where every one enjoyed the game. The Bo’ness team never gave up and played some good rugby and were proud to have participated in a game that was a lot tighter than the score might suggest. The Linlithgow boys played well and the referee had an authority which diffused any incidents and let the game flow. Let’s hope we can recreate this effort in the coming weeks.